College & Career Readiness
Connection to the Strategic Plan
Goal #2: Innovative and highly focused instructional design and practices that maximize student engagement while streamlining student work to that which is meaningful and essential.
Explore and pilot multiple strategies for expanding learning opportunities and choices beyond the school day and building (including technology use and new community connections).
Our mission is to prepare Old Saybrook students for success in their educational endeavors and careers beyond high school. We will accomplish this by fostering meaningful community partnerships that support individual student learning objectives.
Old Saybrook High School's College and Career Readiness Program is designed to provide students with opportunities to become self-aware, to be exposed to a variety of settings, as well as individuals who may serve as their mentors. They are able to pursue their areas of interest and to participate in long-term and in-depth experiences.
- Establish a 100% internship participation rate
- Connect students to organizations within the community
- Help students know themselves
- Encourage students to welcome new challenges
- Teach students to apply what they have learned
- Help students gain the independence necessary to succeed in post-secondary endeavors
CCR Events and Opportunities
So far this year ...
- October was Manufacturing Awareness Month across CT. We celebrated this month by offering two field trip opportunities for students interested in manufacturing and engineering.
- On October 3rd, 20 students toured the Lee Company in Westbrook, CT and learned about precision mechanical engineering and its applications in the aerospace and automobile arenas. Students were given a complete tour of the facility and were able to learn about the various employment opportunities for all kinds of learners available there.
- On October 22nd, students spent two hours at Sound Manufacturing here in Old Saybrook. Students were given a tour of the facility, learned about the various career paths and positions at Sound, and competed in a manufacturing challenge with students from other schools.
- Ayah Galal, news reporter at WFSB channel 3, spoke to English and Journalism students in the LMC on October 29th. Learn more about Ayah here.
- Sophomores will begin the Do What You Are Assessments in English classes on December 5th and 9th. From these results, students will meet with the coordinators in small groups related to their potential career interests. These group meetings will occur either within World History classes or in room 113 with Mrs. Fawcett and Ms. Using.
- Interested students (including but not limited to the Journalism class and members of The Rambler) will tour the WFSB Newsroom on January 10th, 2020.
- A group of students will be participating in a job shadow day at Sound Manufacturing in Old Saybrook. These shadows will occured on February 4th and 6th respectively.
- On Friday, February 28th, there will be a field trip to Three Rivers Community College. We will tour the school, learn about their programs, and there will be an opportunity for students to apply for free! Community college is FREE to high school graduates beginning in Fall 2020. Read more here
This is Cariña’s 14th year as the College and Career Readiness Coordinator and Internship Coordinator. Cariña is a mother to 17 year-old son, Aedan. Prior to that she lived in 3 countries and 5 states, (including Alaska!), but still has a special place in her heart for her home state of Colorado. In her spare time she loves to attend her son’s sporting events, landscape, go for a run with her pup Spot and keep in touch with her friends around the world.
This is Sarah Fawcett’s 3rd year as College and Career Readiness Coordinator. Prior to this position, she taught English for 10 years at OSHS. Sarah received her 6th year in May 2019 in Remedial Reading and Language Arts at SCSU. She is a mother of 3 year-old twins and an 8 month old daughter. She enjoys reading mysteries and crime novels for fun, hiking with her family and her Boxer, Barley, and running.