College and Career Readiness - Start Early!
Senior To Do List
- Retake ACTs (October 28 or December 9)
- Visit with college reps when they visit school
- Visit colleges
- Apply to colleges (all that you're interested in attending, not just one)
- File FAFSA (opens October 1 - some colleges have financial aid priority deadlines of December 1)
- Start looking and applying for scholarships (most local ones will come out shortly after the New Year, but some colleges have December 1 deadlines)
- Apply for college housing (usually under the Campus Life tab)
- Apply for scholarships!!!
- Complete and submit paperwork for financial assistance such as loans, grants, etc. (you do not have to take out all of the loans that have been offered to you - you can reduce or refuse them)
- Sign up for a summer orientation session at the college you'll be attending
- Let colleges that you have been accepted to but will not be attending know of your plans (contact their admissions office)
- Explore colleges - look online, visit with reps when they visit school, visit colleges, go to college fairs
- Explore different major options - look at programs of study at different colleges, take a variety of classes, take intereste inventories, job shadow
- Prepare for the ACTs (start studying now and test in the spring - February 10, April 14, June 9, and July 14)
Freshmen and Sophomores
- It's all about exploring your different career options - work, military, college!
- Take a variety of classes
- Get involved in different extracurricular activities and volunteer experiences (Silver Cord hours!)
- Start looking at different careers/majors
- Start looking at the option of college classes if you are not already taking them
- Work hard and keep your grades up - GPA matters!!!
9-12 School Counselor
North Union High School
600 4th Avenue
Armstrong, IA 50514
Phone: (712) 868-3542
Fax: (712) 868-3550