Ms. Holmes' Counseling Corner
Meet Your Professional School Counselor
My name is Sonja Holmes, and I am Dimon Magnet Academy’s school counselor! I am extremely thrilled to work with the school’s amazing staff, students, as well as parents. As a Professional School Counselor, I focus on the Academic, Personal/Social/Emotional and Career development of our students. I provide classroom guidance lessons, small group counseling, and individual counseling on a short term basis if and when needed. I also collaborate with school staff and parents/guardians in order to best meet the needs of the students.
What Does a School Counselor Do?
Counselors provide services in the following areas:
* Guidance activities in the classroom to help develop student skills in areas such as friendship, cooperation, goal-setting, responsibility, feelings, conflict resolution, respect, problem solving, organization, test taking and study skills, and the Child Lures Prevention.
* Small group counseling for topics such as study skills, social skills, changing families, anger management/ impulse control, grief and loss and others.
* Brief individual counseling to assist students in processing all types of feelings and issues.
* Consultation with parents or caregivers and teachers, to assist with social, emotional, or educational concerns.
* Assisting in referrals for services and community resources.