Welcome to Washington School! My name is Bonnie Loew and I’m the Guidance Counselor at Washington School. This is my first year in the Millburn Township Public School District. Prior to joining Millburn, I spent 10 years as both an Elementary and Middle School Counselor within the Springfield Public School District.
For many people, the words “Guidance Counselor" takes them back to the image of someone they saw a few times in high school to help them with their class schedule, testing, and college applications. Today’s counselors provide a comprehensive, developmental counseling program designed to address the academic, personal, and social/emotional needs of all students. Through collaboration with teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians, the guidance counselor supports the “whole child” approach, with the end goal being to produce the most positive educational outcomes possible for each individual child.
Upper elementary school is a time when students develop attitudes concerning school, self, peers, social groups, and family. During this time, they also refine their decision-making, communication skills, and build upon the character values they may have been exposed to in younger years. This 5th grade year in particular is also a year of transition for students as they move from an elementary school model towards a middle school one. I plan to use a variety of approaches to meet your child at their current developmental level, and to help them continue to build the skills they need to be successful this year, next year in middle school, and in our fast-paced and ever-changing world:
- Leader in Me Classroom Lessons: Push-in with teachers on an as needed basis to provide an additional layer of personal/social/emotional support.
- Small Group Counseling*: Students may attend counseling with groups of students who have common interests or concerns.
- Mediation Services*: Conflict resolution conducted between students who may otherwise not be able to rectify an issue on their own.
- Individual Counseling*: School-based counseling is provided as needed to allow students an opportunity to discuss any issues that may be preventing them from focusing in the school environment. When there is a need for ongoing counseling support, information regarding available community resources (mental health agencies or private practitioners) can be shared. With permission, I can also liaise with a student’s private therapy team to provide a comprehensive counseling approach.
- Transition Services: Customized programs to effectively transition our students into and out of Washington school.
* A student may be referred for small group counseling, individual counseling or mediation services, through a variety of sources: self-referral, parent/guardian, teacher or staff, administrative.
I am optimistic about collaborating with you to support your child’s social emotional growth during this important year. Please do not hesitate to contact me at (973) 218-7500 x 39102 or by email, email@example.com, if I can be of any assistance to you.
I wish you and your family a safe, successful start to the school year. Looking forward to the best school year yet!
973-218-7500 x 39102