MCPS Gifted Program
Division Statement of Philosophy
for the Education of Gifted Students
Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) is an innovative educational community. We value diversity, and we are committed to equity and inclusion. MCPS empowers learners to realize success in an ever-changing global society through collaboration with communities, families, staff, and students. MCPS ensures a safe, engaging learning environment that provides intentional exposure to diverse social, emotional, and academic educational opportunities.
- All students deserve access to exemplary and meaningful learning opportunities that engage them in the development of building connections, collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and creativity.
- Each student deserves access to safe and vibrant learning environments that facilitate instruction, learning and collaboration, promoting physical, mental, emotional, and social well-being.
- Each student deserves to be provided with resources to address physiological, social, emotional, and cognitive needs.
- Each student deserves equitable access to resources, programs, opportunities, and learning experiences regardless of barriers.
- Each student deserves the opportunity to learn resilient life skills in a safe and supportive environment that promote social, emotional, mental, and physical well-being.
MCPS believes gifted students are those whose aptitudes and potential for higher levels of academic accomplishment are so outstanding that they require differentiated curriculum, courses, services, and opportunities to meet their educational needs. Using multiple criteria, MCPS identifies K-12 gifted learners in the specific academic areas of English and mathematics. The identification of academically gifted students spans all populations, including those students who are economically disadvantaged, have a disability, have limited English proficiency, and/or are culturally diverse.
The gifted staff of MCPS is committed to a cross-curricular instructional program that is rigorous and innovative for gifted learners. This program is provided along a continuum that incorporates meaningful learning opportunities. These opportunities engage students in the development of building connections, collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and creativity. We recognize the right of each student to receive the intellectual challenge appropriate to the student’s capabilities.
Utilizing a cluster/resource model in grades K-8, the gifted staff collaborates with teachers and administrators to employ appropriate differentiation in curriculum and instruction and encourage high-ability students to strive for success in an ever-changing global society. To meet the academic needs of secondary students in grades 6-12, MCPS offers students the opportunity to take advanced level, honors, Advanced Placement, and Dual Enrollment courses.
Revised 6/2020 - This statement is the philosophy statement published in the draft of the MCPS 2020-2025 Gifted Plan. Currently the plan is under review by the MCPS School Board. Additional changes may be made after the plan is approved by the School Board in August.
Montgomery County Public Schools does not discriminate in its programs and activities for reasons of race, religion, color, gender, national origin, disability, age, or on any other basis prohibited by law. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Director of Human Resources and Assistant Superintendent for Operations