HICAP Services of Northern California
A Special Program of Legal Services of Northern California
Welcome to HICAP (Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program)
HICAP Services of Northern California provides free counseling and advocacy services for Medicare beneficiaries residing in El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Sierra, Sutter, Yolo and Yuba counties.
Call us to schedule a free, unbiased, confidential counseling session with one of our volunteer HICAP Medicare counselors.
How can HICAP help you?
- Get help with your Medicare questions and problems.
- Get help with questions about Long Term Care Insurance (LTCI) and evaluating a LTCI policy you already have.
- Ask for a presentation about Medicare to your community organization or group.
- For more information on how HICAP can help you, see Our Services.
Disaster or Emergency Area
Did you miss Medicare Open Enrollment?
Medicare Open Enrollment may have ended on December 7, but Medicare beneficiaries may still be able to make plan choices for the 2019 plan year:
- Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period - January 1 through March 31. (NEW FOR 2019) If you are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage ("Part C") plan, you can disenroll from your plan and return to Original Medicare, or switch to another Medicare Advantage plan.
- Special Enrollment Period - varies depending on your situation. Common SEPs include:
- If you were affected by the California wildfires (a FEMA declared emergency/major disaster area), or rely on someone who was affected by the wildfires to make your decisions about Medicare coverage, you may have a Special Enrollment Period through March 31, 2019.
- If you have Extra Help (also called "Low Income Subsidy") or full Medi-Cal benefits, you have a SEP to change your Medicare health or drug plans once a quarter for the first 3 quarters of the year.
- 5 Star Special Enrollment Period - If you reside in an area with a plan that has an overall performance rating of 5 stars, you can join that plan.
You may have other enrollment rights based on your situation that are not listed here. For personalized assistance, please contact us for more information.
Are you New to Medicare?
Get started by attending an Introduction to Medicare workshop!
All Workshops are from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM. Located at 505 12th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814. To reserve a spot, please call (916) 375-3765.
Upcoming 2019 Workshop Dates:
- Wednesday, March 6th
- Wednesday, March 20th
- Wednesday, April 3rd
- Wednesday, April 17th
- Wednesday, May 1st
- Wednesday, May 15th
HICAP is not affiliated with any insurance company, nor does the program sell, promote or solicit any type of insurance. California HICAP is part of a national network of State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIP) and is supported by the California Department of Aging and Agency on Aging Area 4. This project was supported, in part by grant number 90SAPG0052-01-00, from the U.S. Administration for Community Living, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, D.C. 20201. Grantees undertaking projects under government sponsorship are encouraged to express freely their findings and conclusions. Points of view or opinions do not, therefore, necessarily represent official Administration for Community Living policy.