HICAP Services of Northern California
A Special Program of Legal Services of Northern California
Welcome to HICAP (Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program)
HICAP Services of Northern California provides free counseling and advocacy services for Medicare beneficiaries residing in El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Sierra, Sutter, Yolo and Yuba counties.
Call us to schedule a free, unbiased, confidential counseling session with one of our volunteer HICAP Medicare counselors.
OPEN ENROLLMENT: If you are looking for assistance with comparing Prescription Drug Plans (Part D), click here for more information.
How can HICAP help you?
- Get help with your Medicare questions and problems.
- Get help with questions about Long Term Care Insurance (LTCI) and evaluating a LTCI policy you already have.
- Ask for a presentation about Medicare to your community organization or group.
- For more information on how HICAP can help you, see Our Services.
Disaster or Emergency Area
Do you have a MyMedicare.Gov Account?
Medicare's new Plan Finder uses MyMedicare.Gov
Through MyMedicare.gov, Medicare beneficiaries can use their recent drug claims to build a drug list for the Plan Finder compare feature during Open Enrollment. Additionally, beneficiaries can choose to receive information via email, print out a new Medicare card, and access Medicare Summary Notices through the site.
If you need to create a new account, please check out this CMS Fact Sheet.
Are you New to Medicare?
Get started by attending an Introduction to Medicare workshop!
All Workshops are from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM. Located at 505 12th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814. To reserve a spot, please call (916) 375-3765.
Upcoming 2019 Workshop Dates:
- Wednesday, October 9th
- Wednesday, October 23rd
- Wednesday, November 13th
- Wednesday, November 27th
- Wednesday, December 11th
Are you in EL DORADO COUNTY and curious about Medicare changes in 2020?
Come to one of HICAP's free, one-hour, public workshops to help you understand coverage options in 2020. All Workshops are one hour in length. No appointments necessary.
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
- Tuesday, Oct. 15th. 12:45 pm
- South Lake Tahoe Senior Center, 3050 Lake Tahoe Blvd., South Lake Tahoe 96150
- Tuesday, Oct. 22nd. 12:45 pm
- Cameron Park Community Center, 2502 Country Club Dr., Cameron Park 95682
- Wednesday, Oct. 23rd. 1:00 pm
- Placerville Senior Center, 937 Spring Street, Placerville 95667
EL DORADO HILLS
- Tuesday, Nov. 5th. 1:00 pm
- El Dorado Hills Senior Center (Gilmore), 990 Lassen Lane, El Dorado Hills 95762
Did you miss Medicare Open Enrollment?
Medicare Open Enrollment may have ended on December 7, but Medicare beneficiaries may still be able to make plan choices for the 2019 plan year:
- Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period - January 1 through March 31. If you are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage ("Part C") plan, you can disenroll from your plan and return to Original Medicare, or switch to another Medicare Advantage plan.
- Special Enrollment Period - varies depending on your situation. Common SEPs include:
- If you were affected by the California wildfires (a FEMA declared emergency/major disaster area), or rely on someone who was affected by the wildfires to make your decisions about Medicare coverage, you may have a Special Enrollment Period through March 31, 2019.
- If you have Extra Help (also called "Low Income Subsidy") or full Medi-Cal benefits, you have a SEP to change your Medicare health or drug plans once a quarter for the first 3 quarters of the year.
- 5 Star Special Enrollment Period - If you reside in an area with a plan that has an overall performance rating of 5 stars, you can join that plan.
You may have other enrollment rights based on your situation that are not listed here. For personalized assistance, please contact us for more information.
HICAP counseling services are provided by Counselors registered by the California Department of Aging who are acting in good faith to provide information about health insurance polices and benefits. This information shall not be construed to be legal advice, and the volunteer HICAP Counselor is generally not liable for acts and omissions in providing counseling to recipients of this service. (W&I Code, Section 9541(f).) If you choose a plan and have difficulty with the enrollment process, the HICAP Counselor may assist you. However, you will be responsible for the actual plan contract. The HICAP Counselor will NOT choose your plan for you.