SEL at Parr
What does school-wide SEL look like at Parr?
Morning Meetings: Morning Meeting is a time every day where students and teachers explore and practice social skills and merge social, emotional and academic learning. At Parr, Morning Meetings take place between 8:20-8:35 daily in each classroom.
Goals and Purpose of Morning Meeting:
- To set the tone for respectful and engaged learning
- To create a positive and trusting community, fulfilling students’ need to belong, to feel significant, and to have fun
- To model and practice social and emotional skills including our Mindset for Learning stances
- To merge social, emotional and academic learning
Mindsets for Learning: This year we are focusing on strengthening our community's social and emotional wellness through a constellation of stances. The stances below do not stand alone. Instead, they can be used as a tool kit when facing challenges, often in coordination with one another.
Mindset for Learning Constellation of Stances:
- Optimism: Feeling hopeful that risks are worth taking and that problems will work themselves out
- Persistence: Sticking with something even when it is challenging
- Flexibility: Seeing and trying many possible actions within a task
- Resilience: Bouncing back and recovering from setbacks and failures
- Empathy: Feeling how another person is feeling and imagining what it would be like to be in another's position
SEL Instruction in Classrooms: Ms. Carney and your student's teacher will be teaching social emotional learning (SEL) lessons every other week in your student's classroom. These lessons will focus on skills needed for learning, emotion identification and management, developing empathy and perspective taking, and problems solving skills.