Welcome! This is a place for sharing resources and tools to enhance social emotional wellness at Parr.
What is SEL? According to CASEL, social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
Why is SEL Important? SEL is important for a variety of reasons. It provides a foundation for safe and positive learning, and it also enhances student's ability to succeed in school, careers, and life.
Short term benefits:
- understand and manage feelings
- have empathy for others and make responsible decisions
- personally and socially establish positive relationships with peers and adult
- improve grades, attendance and test scores
- reduce risk-taking behaviors and decrease stress
Long term benefits:
- increase readiness for post secondary education
- have a successful career
- positive family and work relationships
- better mental health
- reduced criminal behavior