Ultrasound Contrast Agents: Application of Gas-filled Microbubbles in Biomedical Engineering
Encapsulated microbubbles (MBs) are gaseous colloidal particles, coated with surfactants, polymers, lipids, proteins or other bio-compatible materials. The compressible gaseous core of microbubbles can expand and contract in response to ultrasound. The acoustic backscatter from microbubbles can be used to enhance contrast between the blood vessels and solid tissue. In addition to ultrasonic imaging, microbubbles are being explored used for delivery of drugs, genes, and bioactive gases.
This workshop will focus on the design and engineering of microbubbles for biomedical applications, such as ultrasonic imaging and drug delivery. Methods of microbubble synthesis, techniques for microbubble characterization, and issues related to microbubble stability and biocompatibility will be discussed. The use of ultrasound and microbubbles for therapeutic applications, such as sonoporation, drug-delivery, clot lysis, and opening the blood-brain barrier will also be discussed. In addition to lectures, participants will also be exposed to laboratory sessions focused on microbubble synthesis and characterization.
- Expose participants to the fundamentals of microbubble engineering for biomedical applications
- Enhance understanding of the participants about the thermodynamics and kinetic processes involved in design and production of stable microbubble suspensions
- Demonstrate methods for acoustic characterization of microbubbles
- Introduce application of microbubbles in cutting-edge biomedical applications such as ultrasound imaging and targeted drug delivery
Date and Venue
Dates: December 14-15, 2019
Venue: IIT Gandhinagar
Instructor(s): Prof. Sameer Dalvi, Prof. Himanshu Shekhar, Prof. Karla Mercado-Shekhar
Students: INR 1,000/- Faculty: INR 2,000/-
Industry/ Government lab: INR 5,000/-
Participants from outside India: US $100/-
The fees include only Registration and Lunch. Accommodation is not included. However, accommodation can be made available upon request and on payment-basis, subject to availability.
How to register?
All interested individuals should register online before 05 December 2019 using a link given below.
The fees should be paid through online transaction. Details of the IITGN account are given below. The candidates who would like to pay fees by DD should deposit DD at IIT Gandhinagar on 14 December 2019. The DD should be drawn in favor of “The Registrar, IIT Gandhinagar”
- Account Name: IIT Gandhinagar Project & Consultancy
- A/C No.: 1414132000011
- MICR No.: 380015052
- Bank | Branch: Canara Bank, IIT Gandhinagar, Palaj
- IFSC Code: CNRB0005159
- Branch Code: 005159