Bay Watershed In Science Education
What is bwise?
The goal of BWISE is to build HCPS teacher capacity to facilitate immersive and authentic Meaningful Watershed Educational Experiences (MWEEs) and provide students with a complete MWEE.
6th Grade Students from Across Henrico County Visit Maymont
Thanks to a grant from NOAA and partnerships with Maymont, Henricopolis, Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay, Keep Henrico Beautiful, and VCU; Henrico Country 6th Grade Students are able to have meaningful watershed experiences this fall at Maymont for the second year in a row. Visit YouTube to view what is happening with BWISE.
Henrico County 6th Graders Learn about the Chesapeake Bay Watershed
The BWISE partnership was highlighted by the VPM's Science Matters Initiative. Visit Science Matters for the article that includes student videos and information about BWISE.
bwise & deeper learning/steam
The MWEE exemplifies an authentic STEAM learning experience where students identify a problem, apply skills and knowledge across contents and utilize the design cycle as they present solutions in the form of an action project.
MWEEs through BWISE fit well within the Deeper Learning Model
- Pillar I: Students participate in field experiences that tie into classroom learning and can be taken home and applied to their community.
- Pillar II: Students conduct research, collect and analyze data about their watershed, and design an action plan based on their findings
- Pillar III: Issue Identification and Action Projects are determined through student voice and choice
- Pillar IV: Teachers and students partner with Maymont, Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay, Henricopolis Soil & Water Conservation District, Keep Henrico Beautiful and have the potential to share their results and action project beyond the walls of their classroom
- Twenty-four hours of professional learning in-person and online
- Developing leadership and professional competencies
- Support in the classroom and on school grounds with outreach, hands-on activities, and resources
- Support through planning and facilitating action projects
- Connect teachers and students with community partners for project sustainability
- Connect students to the world around them through locally relevant programming
Henrico County Public Schools
Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
VCU School of Education
Keep Henrico Beautiful