Math & Reading Support Links
Math Support Links
- Prodigy Math - gamified math activities; biggest selling point for me: “Teachers never pay for Prodigy: All math, reporting, and access to the program is free, and free forever. The only way that we make money is through a completely optional parent upgrade, which only unlocks extra game content (e.g., new hairstyles for a student’s character), and has absolutely no impact on Prodigy's educational quality.”
- Manga High - games and challenges are free, reporting is not; generally ad free
- Khan Academy - videos and math practice site: Khan Academy is free for everyone, forever. Students can set up an account through their school Google accounts and practice math from counting to calculus. Videos and practice are presented to your child as they progress at their own pace.
- Arcademic Skill Builders - This is a great site for practice and kids can play simultaneously from home in private games to compete against one another. Race while practicing with math facts.
- Hooda Math - “...a free online math games site. Founded by a middle school math teacher, Hooda Math offers more than 500 free math games that are played online by more than 3 million students a month.”
- XP Math - “...allows teachers to differentiate instruction by process and content by providing tools to collect and analyze student data at every stage of their learning.”
- Matific - Offers a variety of exciting math games for grades K-6.
- NCTM Illuminations - “Illuminations is a project designed by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM).”...”Illuminations works to serve you by increasing access to quality standards-based resources for teaching and learning mathematics, including interactive tools for students and instructional support for teachers.”
- Multiplication.com - simple times table games
- Arcademic Skill Builders - K-8 games, multi-player, private rooms, and a great way to play math games on the Promethean board
- Fun Brain's MathZone - simple games categorized by grade level
- Varsity Games - simply bingo, vocabulary, and memory games
Reading Support Links
- Reading Rockets - A great resource for parents to learn more about reading and what kind of activities to do to help their child grow as a reader.
- Clever Login For Benchmark Literacy Access - This is where you can access Benchmark Literacy e-books at home. You can see all the different levels, topics, and number of books available.
- Unite For Literacy - Has free e-books for preschool age and kindergarten students.
- MackinVia - This is the shell that houses ebooks purchased by your school library. Select your school and sign in with your single sign on. Books can be read online, checked out and downloaded.
At Captain John Smith, our students SWIM to success!
Copyright © 2015 Hampton City Schools. All Rights Reserved. One Franklin Street, Hampton, Virginia, 23669 757-727-2000 The Hampton City School Division is not responsible for the contents of any off-site webpages referenced from HCS servers. Hampton City Schools Non-Discrimination Notice - HCS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age or other protected classes in its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Robin G. Ruth, Executive Director, Human Resources, One Franklin Street, Hampton, VA 23669 757-727-2000.