Sydney has grown from the coalescence of once isolated neighborhoods, like Ashby and the North End. One of these areas, "the Shipyard", first housed shipbuilders who worked for Jersey merchants, like Phillip Ingoville in the 18th and 19th centuries. As the population of the area grew, more merchants and a grist mill located in the shipyard. When the steel plant was built in 1900, the shipyard became a popular "suburban area". By 1918 the Argyle Street School was built to serve the growing population, and in the 1950's St. Anthony Daniel School opened.
Now, as areas like Membertou, Boulderwood and Calderwood have developed, the Shipyard is almost downtown, and St. Anthony Daniel and Argyle have been replaced by our own Shipyard Elementary School, an historic name for one of Sydney's oldest neighborhoods.