All domestic and commercial buildings in the UK available to buy or rent must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). If you own a home, getting an energy performance survey done could help you identify ways to save money on your energy bills and improve the comfort of your home.

What are EPCs?

Much like the multi-coloured sticker on new appliances, EPCs tell you how energy efficient a building is and give it a rating from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient). EPCs let the person who will use the building know how costly it will be to heat and light, and what its carbon dioxide emissions are likely to be.

The EPC will also state what the energy-efficiency rating could be if improvements are made, and highlights cost-effective ways to achieve a better rating. Even if you rent your home, some improvements noted on the EPC may be worth implementing, such as switching to more energy-efficient light bulbs.

EPCs are valid for 10 years from when issued.

Why get an EPC?

Your property's EPC needs to be available to potential buyers as soon as you start to market your property for sale or rent. You must get an approved Domestic Energy Assessor to produce the EPC.

If you implement any of the energy efficiency recommendations outlined in your EPC, you may wish to get a fresh EPC done to include these improvements.

EPCs and Landlords

In an attempt to ensure that all tenants enjoy a right to live in an energy e cient home, the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards will be phased in over the next five years.

Phase one - their EPC.

The regulations will initially only apply upon the granting of a new tenancy to:

• A new tenant

• An existing tenant

Phase two - from 1st April 2020, the regulations will apply to ALL privately rented properties which are required to have an EPC. What does this mean for Landlords? From April 2018 changes to legislation will make it unlawful to let a residential property with an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating below an ‘E’. from 1st April 2018, private rented properties must achieve an energy e ciency rating of at least an E on An EPC is already required to let or market a property legally, but the new laws surrounding MEES means that an EPC with a rating of F or G is not sufficient for compliance. If your property does not meet the minimum standard, then unfortunately you cannot let or market that property within the law. Rent reviews could also be affected as a result of this. Financial penalties for non-compliance can also be as much as £5000 in the domestic sector.

Who produces energy reports and EPCs?

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, only accredited Domestic Energy Assessors can produce valid EPCs

EPCs conducted from £50



Free Range Energy was created in 2010 to serve the needs of homeowners and tenants. Since then, our client base has grown to include Landlords and everything in between. If you would like to find out more about how Free Range Energy can serve your needs, get in touch today.