Membership & Requirements
** NOT ALL DECISIONS HAVE BEEN SENT OUT** Final emails will be sent out by Wednesday!
National Honor Society is one of the nation’s premier organizations and societies that promotes recognition for students who reflect outstanding accomplishments in the areas of character, scholarship, leadership, and service. The applicant must demonstrate a commitment to service to both school and the community, hence, using his or her talents to improve society. Students that qualify and are accepted to NHS must maintain these high standards to continue their eligibility in the organization. Thus, it is both an honor and commitment to be a member.
Applications must be submitted in a neat and well-organized manner. The panel that looks over each application is made up of faculty members. The faculty council votes on each individual and the decision made by the council is final.
Summary of Requirements:
- · Applicants must be juniors or seniors.
- · Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above. Members are required to maintain this GPA throughout each school year.
- · A “D” or “F” in any class will disqualify the applicant or member from NHS.
- · Since an NHS member must always show a strong moral character, a "N" or “U” in citizenship or work habits during any grading period will disqualify the applicant or member.
- Applicants must have a clean discipline record. No Academic Dishonesty or Suspensions .
- · Applicants must have previous experience in community service, show community involvement, demonstrate leadership skills, and be actively involved with co-curricular activities at Troy High School.
- · Work experience, internships, and awards during the applicant’s high school years should be included.
- · Applications must be complete and turned in on time.
- · Signatures must be present for verification. No parent signatures will be accepted. Scan, fax, or email your form to those you need signatures from that are unable to be reached locally. Have them sign and scan, fax, or email back to you.
To remain a member of NHS, each semester the member shall do all of the following:
- · Members must maintain the appropriate grade point average. Currently “…a candidate must maintain at least a 3.50 academic weighted grade point average.”
- · Members must maintain good citizenship and work habits each semester. “Any unsatisfactory in citizenship or work habits on a semester report card will result in the dismissal of the member from NHS.”
- · Any inappropriate disciplinary problem reported in their personal file will result in the dismissal of the member from NHS.
- · Members must attend all meetings unless excused prior to meeting date by an officer.
- · Members must volunteer a minimum of 10 hours each semester in some form of community service with appropriate signatures and turn in completed paper work on time. No parent signature will be allowed.
- · At least 4 of the 10 volunteer hours must be on Troy campus or for Troy High School activities. This may be done at Troy Central for tutoring or tutoring during lunch for any teacher. Other service for the school may also be considered. Let Mrs Grant know what the activity is. A Troy staff signature must be logged at the time of the activity.
- · To show school leadership and good character, members must attend at least one extracurricular school function each semester for which they do not participate. These activities include a sporting event or performance by the drama, music, and dance departments. For example, basketball players cannot go to the earlier game to count as the activity. That is to say, a varsity basketball player needs to attend something other than basketball on the day of their game. Although, a Girls’ game on a Saturday when boys do not play would be okay to count for his/her school function. If you are in a play one night, but are the understudy the next this also will not count for your one extracurricular activity. A Troy staff signature must be logged at the time of the activity.
- Application available September 21, 2017 by 3 pm in room 309 .
Application is available on this website
under NHS DOCUMENTS-- click on red link below .
- Application due : SEPTEMBER 21 by 3 pm to Mrs Grant (rm 309)