Reading is one of the great loves of my life! It gives me the ability to escape to another world at a moments notice. When I was about 12-13, I found the book that changed my life and it will forever hold a special place in my heart. Growing up, I was a veracious reader and was always caught reading in class, when I was probably supposed to do something else. My hope is to help you find that book that changes everything for you.
This year, you will have the chance to read a variety of books! Below are the requirements for the Torres CORE - IR Program.
- Read for 15 minutes per night from a Reading Counts book. Go to HMH Book Expert website to make sure that your book is a Reading Counts book.
- During the first semester, you will be expected to turn in a weekly reading log.
- Every Friday, you will have a reading response discussion board assignment on Google Classroom where you will talk about what you are reading with your classmates.
Reading Counts: Word Count Score - Your Goal
- Your goal for Quarter 1 & 2 is set for 100,000 words. The number raises during Quarter 3 & 4 to 125,000 words.
- The words must come from Reading Counts books. Go to HMH Book Expert website to make sure it is an RC book.
- To earn credit for the words read, you must pass the corresponding Reading Counts quiz with a minimum score of 7 out of 10.
- This assignment is worth 100 - 125 points. You will receive one point for every one thousand words read.
Reading Counts: Average Quiz Score
- To earn points for the words read, you must pass the corresponding Reading Counts quiz with a minimum score of 7 out of 10.
- You have THREE chances to take each quiz in an attempt to pass. You must wait 24 hours in between quizzes of the same book. Once you pass the quiz with a passing score, you may not take the quiz again to obtain a higher score.
- Every quiz passed will count toward the average quiz score. Failed quiz attempt scores will be dropped.
- This assignment is worth 100 - 125 points based on your quiz average.
*You may earn extra credit in English by reading more than 100,000 words during each quarter. To receive extra credit, you must pass the Reading Counts quiz(zes) for the extra book(s) you read. You will receive one point of extra credit for every 5,000 words that you read over the requirement. The MAXIMUM amount of extra credit that may be earned in a quarter is 50 points.
Example: If you read 125,000 words, which would be 25,000 words over the goal, that would equal five extra credit points.