ODK Drive to Sheets (Advanced)
hands-on activity #1: collect data
If using your own Android phone:
- Download the ODK Collect app from the Play store
- Open the ODK Collect app and download the “imw17” form to your phone:
- Click "Get Blank Form"
- Click "Shared with Me" at the bottom of the screen to see files that have been shared with you.
- Select “imw17.xml” and click "Download Selected".
If borrowing a phone, start here
3. With the ODK Collect app open, fill out the form:
- Click "Fill Blank Form"
- Select "imw17"
- Fill out each survey question. Get to the next question with a swipe left.
- At the end, Save form.
4. Submit your data:
- Click "Send Finalized Form"
- Select Form
- Click "Send"
hands-on activity #2: create a form
- Go to build.opendatakit.org
- Create an account
- Give your blank form a title. The title should be one word only.
- Click on the "Text" button at the bottom to add a text question.
- On the right, edit the question.
- Fill out the Data Name field (one word, no punctuation). This is your column header. i.e. "name"
- Fill out the Label field (no limits). This is the question that will appear on your phone. i.e. "What is your name?"
- Click on the "Location button" to add a GPS location question.
- Add one more question of your choosing, for example a Photo question.
- Click File > Save.
hands-on activity #3: Deploy your form
- Create a Google Drive folder for your ODK project.
- Go to drive.google.com
- Add new > Folder. Give the folder a name.
- In Drive, create a response Sheet in the Drive folder.
- Add new > Sheet.
- Click Share and make the Sheet "Anyone with the link can edit"
- Copy the Sheet URL
- In ODK Build, click Edit > Form Properties. Enter the Sheet url in the submission URL field.
- In ODK Build, download your form as an XML. Click File > Export to XML. Then in the pop up, click "Download"
- In Drive, upload your XML file.
- Click New > Field Upload to upload your xml form to the Drive folder.
- Click on the XML file inside the folder, then click Share button.
- Change the settings to "Anyone with the link" can edit.
- On your phone, Get Blank Form to find your new form.
- Fill out your survey. Use Send Finalized Form to send at least one response.
- Look to make sure the submitted data appears in your Response sheet
HANDS-ON ACTIVITY #4: CREATE A MAP
- Create a new My Map. Two ways to do this:
- In Google Drive, click New > More > Google My Map
- Go to mymaps.google.com and click "Create New Map".
- Give the map a title and description.
- Under "Untitled Layer", click "Import".
- In the pop-up, click "Google Drive and click your response sheet, then "Select"
- Your ODK data should load on the map.
Open Data Kit for field data collection forms
ODK Build for form building on your laptop
ODK Collect for Android devices from the Play Store
Advanced form building using XLSForm
Google Drive for managing your response data
Google Drive Sheets for response spreadsheet