SMITH MS AVid website
What is AVID?
AVID is a pre-college academy program that deals in preparing students for college courses. It focuses on writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization and reading. This is known as WICOR.
AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
What is AVID to Students?
"When I first came into Smith I struggled a lot because I wasn't taking AVID seriously enough. I didn't take any notes or do my TRF's and I was failing. But then Mr. Zeigler talked to me and told me that I had to bring my grades up and stop getting in trouble or I would be removed from the program. Then I started taking it for real and I brought my grades up and started to stop getting in trouble. AVID has been a great crutch for me in the past three years of middle school. In AVID I have learned many skills I will need to be successful. A lot of this has come from my great teacher Mr. Zeigler, he has always made sure that I stay out of trouble and kept me on the right path in school. A lot of this help also has come from the support of my AVID family. I always have had someone behind my back to help me including my study buddies who are always willing to help me with my work. Although there has been a lot of work, there has been a ton of fun with it to. We have gone on many fun field trips including to UNC and I have been able to also see a lot of ways that colleges function. In AVID you are supposed to learn 7-10 things everyday in AVID, but I learn so much more then that. I would not be where I am at today if it weren't for AVID."
8th Grade AVID student year 2017.
10 pointers to remember:
1. Don't talk over others Especially Mr. Zeigler. Everyone's thoughts matter.
2. We are a AVID family, so you will always have people to help you if you need it.
3. You should learn 7-10 new things every time you come to any class .
4. AVID is a pre-college course program.
5. You should keep your grades above a 3.0 grade point average or a B.
6. Always come prepared for every class.
7. What you put in is what you get out, so put in hard work to get habits in excellence.
8. "The difficulty in life is the choice", so make good choices.
9. Be positive, supportive, and encouraging to your peers.
10. Act as a role model for your peers.