McDougle Middle School National Junior Honor Society
The McDougle Middle School National Junior Honor Society Induction Ceremony will be held on Wednesday, May 12th, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. for new 2021 members! This will be held virtually through a Google Meet Link.
Students that are eligible have already been contacted and have gone through the process to join
Please email Catherine Sweat for any questions: email@example.com
The National Junior Honor Society is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding middle level students. More than just an honor roll, NJHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, character, and citizenship. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1929. Our McDougle Middle School chapter was founded Fall 2017.
6th and 7th grade students who meet the academic requirements for membership are invited to join in Spring of the year.
Members of this National Society must meet the following obligations:
Note: There have been some changes for the 2020-2021 School Year given the remote learning environment
a. Chapter Service Projects – All members participate and promote the NJHS Group Service Projects.
b. Individual Service Projects – All members independently complete an additional 20 service hours. This service may be completed through a church group, a scout group, a community volunteer effort, and/or any other volunteer opportunities offered at McDougle. (It is suggested but not required that students complete 10 service hours for the 2020-2021 School Year)
2. Scholarship – As an Honor Society, we have high expectations for academic performance. NJHS members must maintain a 90% or above average in each class that they take.
3. Leadership – Members of NJHS act as student leaders, providing a positive role model to other McDougle students.
4. Citizenship - All members comply with school rules. Office referrals, detentions, or suspension for behavior issues are not acceptable for members of NJHS.
5. Character- Members of NJHS strive to develop the following character traits: respect, responsibility, patience, courage, caring, integrity, self-control, cooperation, and perseverance.
Dues – NJHS members pay chapter dues of $15.00 per semester or $30.00 per year. These dues help fund Chapter activities, service projects, and induction ceremonies. (Dues have been suspended for the 2020-2021 year until further notice)
Meeting Attendance - Members are expected to attend all scheduled membership meetings. Members who cannot attend a scheduled meeting must provide a written excuse to the Chapter advisor.
When membership obligations are not met:
1. Students who have been unable to fulfill obligations of our NJHS’ Chapter are notified in writing that they are on probationary status. Those on probation will have no less than one academic quarter and no more than one academic semester to demonstrate their ability and willingness to fulfill all obligations of membership in order to be considered a member in good standing. If they are unable to maintain membership obligations, the Faculty Council will hold a hearing to consider the student’s dismissal from the Chapter.
2. Dismissal Hearings provide the probationary member with due process rights. The member may present reasons s/he should be allowed to maintain NJHS membership. If the Faculty Council rules for dismissal from the Chapter, the student may file a formal, written appeal with the principal asking for reinstatement. The principal has full authority over all actions and decisions of the Faculty Council on discipline or dismissal of members.