GEOPHYSICAL LABORATORY, CARNEGIE INSTITUTION FOR SCIENCE
My main research goal is to understand the evolution and composition of planetary interiors through high-pressure simulation experiments using piston-cylinder apparatus, multi-anvil devices, diamond-anvil cell, and dynamic compression methods. I also pursue new materials synthesis at high pressure and temperature.
- Earth and planet evolution
- Planetary interior processes
- Compositions of the Earth's mantle and core
- Physical properties of materials at high P and T
- Materials synthesis at high pressure
- Development of high-pressure techniques
HOT OUT OF THE PRESS
IMA Commission approved a new mineral, Feiite, named after mineralogist Yingwei Fei. Feiite, a titanium iron oxide with formula Fe2(FeTi)O5 and orthorhombic structure, was discovered in a shocked meteorite from Mars.