Les Bois Junior High AVID
AVID Program Description
AVID, which stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a program designed to give the necessary support to students typically identified as the academic average so that they can attend college and achieve their fullest potential.
Get a sneak peak into the Les Bois AVID program with this commercial.
Inquiry Based Learning
The AVID program serves to support its students through an emphasis on WICOR curricular strategies, which include writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization and reading. By reinforcing study and organizational skills, and encouraging students to take more rigorous and challenging classes, the program seeks to ultimately prepare them for success at a college or university. Students are given the resources to help them apply for financial aid, scholarships, grants and to colleges and universities of their interest.
Bi-Weekly Collaborative Study Groups with Professional Tutors
AVID students have skilled tutors, often college students, to help them with their studies.
The best way to support the students taking risks and pushing themselves personally and academically is to build a strong support system through the "AVID family." The bonds created in the AVID classes are part of the magic formula that makes AVID such a success. We mix in hard work with fun activities in and out of school.
Leadership and Community Service
There is a strong curricular focus on leadership development as the ultimate goal of the AVID program is to support students to become educated and responsible participants and leaders in society. Community service is advocated throughout the program as students are encouraged to be active members of their school and community.
Students are taken on field trips to various colleges and universities throughout their time in the program to familiarize them with the many post-secondary options available.
AVID Program Student Expectations
- AVID students will maintain satisfactory citizenship and character in all classes.
- AVID students will maintain the district 90% attendance policy.
- AVID students will maintain a minimum 2.0 in 7th and 8th grade and 2.5 in 9th grade overall GPA without an F in any class.
- AVID students will enroll in college-preparatory courses, including accelerated and/or advanced placement courses.
- AVID students will demonstrate effort to be an active participant in all classes, be prepared for all classes with all assigned work completed on time, and take Focused Notes as required.
- AVID students will come prepared for tutorial sessions and actively participate.
- AVID students will complete 3 hours of community service per quarter.
- AVID students will prepare for college entrance exams.
- AVID students will participate in fundraising projects.
- AVID students understand that they must meet the academic requirement of a 2.0/2.5 or higher and be in good standing in their classes to be allowed to attend field trips.