What do School Social Workers do?
School Social Workers help parents, students, and school staff identify needs that interfere with learning and work with students to get the services they need.
Social Workers work with general and special education students and their families to resolve social, emotional and behavioral problems.
In Bedford County, School Social Workers:
- Connect families with services such as: food pantries, housing, medical needs through community resources including the Department of Social Services.
- Follow up on truancy and safety requests through home visits.
- Work with families, teachers, and staff to meet the educational needs of students when home is the best place for their over-all well-being.
- Help parents develop parenting skills
- Participate in School Crisis Teams
- Conduct Socio-Cultural Assessment
- Have an active role in Special Education Eligibility
- Participate in FAPT meetings which assist in funding of students in many ways including alternative school placements.
- Help identify incidents of family and or child abuse/neglect
- Conduct Child Adolescent Needs and Strengths Assessments.
- Are responsible for coverage of 6/7 schools per social worker.
- And drive all the highways, back roads, and gravel roads in Bedford County to service the children in our schools.
Bedford Co. Covid-19 Hotline
You can reach the Bedford County COVID-19 Hotline 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, by calling:
You can also reach the center by emailing: COVID19-BedfordHelp@Bedfordcounty.va.gov
Amy Herrmann, MSW, CSSW
School Social Worker Office: 540-586-7735 Mobile: 540-216-0224 Fax: 540-586-4957 Email: Amy.Herrmann@Bedford.k12.va.us
I now have a Facebook page which is SSW-Liberty Zone so you can access this page on the go! Just click on the Learn More button and you will be directed to this page.
- Additional RESOURCES
- NEW --> How Parents Can Model Better Screen Time Behavior for Their Kids
- The Bedford office of Horizon Behavioral now schedules appointments for intake of children/teens for services. Contact: Amber Duff, Clinical Coordinator 434-455-1737
- Bedford Area Seniors Raising Kids