ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS
Welcome to ELA with Mrs. Vilardi!
My name is Mrs. Vilardi and I am so excited to work with all of my students this year across three grade levels. I will be co-teaching a 6th grade class with Mrs. Sprengel as well as 5th grade class & 8th grade class on my own.
In order to find information for my 5th & 8th grade class, please use this site only, using the tabs above. If you are interested in finding information about my co-taught class, use the tabs above to find the link to Mrs. Sprengel's site.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out!
I am looking forward to a great year :)
Below is the breakdown for grading:
50% = Major assessments
30% = Minor assessments
10% = Homework assignments
10% = Class Participation
Major assignments Minor ASSIGNMENTS
-completed essays -reading log
-book talks -reading response
-vocabulary tests -writers' notebook
- No extra credit is assigned.
- Students can request to retest major assessments. [Tests only, not essays]
Homework can be graded twice:
1) For completion.
2) Graded for accuracy as a participation grade.
***Students will be notified for homework grading category.
It will be posted on homework page as well.
Grading Scale for Homework Completeness:
100% = Completed
75% = Attempted, more than half / late score after one day
50% = Attempted, mostly incomplete / late score after two days
0% = No attempt, not handed in
How much time should students spend on homework?
Grade 4 = 40 minutes
Grade 5 = 50 minutes
Grade 6 = 60 minutes
Grade 7 = 70 minutes
Grade 8 = 80 minutes
*Late homework will be taken, with a penalty, up to two days from assigned date.
- Contributes to discussions, lessons, and activities
- Responds thoughtfully to other students’ comments
- Suggests different ways of approaching activities
- Demonstrates consistent preparation
- Maintains engagement in lessons and activities
100-90 Exceeds expectations
89-80 Meets expectations
60 Below expectations