In order to sign up for this workshop you should:
1. Be able to attend 2 full day face to face workshops (8:30 AM to 4 PM).
2. Commit to completing at least 30 hours of online instruction between the face to face classes. This means you must be able to fit 3 to 4 hours each week of online learning time into your already busy schedule! How are your time management skills?
3. Realize that online learning demands more time and effort than face-to-face learning.
4. Have strong reading, research and writing skills.
5. Have regular access to a reliable computer with a strong Internet connection. Internet Browsers: NO Internet Explorer, Chrome works best with AsuLearn.
6. Have strong computer skills and be willing to learn how to use a learning management system and Google tools (drive, docs, slides).
7. Be a self-starter who does not need reminders to complete ongoing assignments.
8. Be the type of person who finishes what they start!
How Does The Hybrid Core Work?
Participants begin with a 6 hour face to face workshop that will teach content and describe how to use AsU Learn, App State’s online course management system. They will then complete a 30 hour online course offered over 9 weeks. The online course will be facilitated by instructors from App State, so participants will get plenty of help and feedback. The Hybrid Core will end with a 6 hour face-to-face workshop:
The Hybrid Core covers all the content from the 7 core courses: Applying Content Standards: GPS for Success, Assessment to Instruction, Evidence Based Reading, Math, and Writing, Contextualized Instruction, and Teaching Strategies Integrating Technology. Participants will be in a cohort group with about 25 of their peers. They should plan on taking the Hybrid Core during a 9 week period where they can devote 3 to 4 hours per week completing online course assignments in between the two face-to-face workshops.
Your capstone project which will be presented during the last face to face workshop on May 5th. You will be responsible for giving a short presentation about how what you have been learning in the Hybrid Core impacts the instruction you are giving in the classroom.
This is something to keep in mind while you are working through the course and maybe collect materials and ideas. You will have time to work on the capstone during the last online week of the course.
Your presentation should be about 10 minutes in length and could take the form of:
- A video where you describe and show how your classroom teaching practices have changed
- A Google Slides or PowerPoint presentation where you document what you have learned during the course. (Please, no reading off bulleted slides!)
- Creation of a Google Site where you document what you have learned during the course