Maple Grove CRC
The Maple Grove Senior High School Career Resource Center is located just inside the Media Center, and is staffed by Mike Vecellio and Laurie Roiger. We invite students in to support them on their journey to explore and finalize post-high school plans. This process is different for every student, and may include career exploration, college planning, and/or connecting with the military. We also maintain a job board. We are open each day 7:10 - 2:30 during the school year. Students should stop by the CRC if they would like to set up an appointment. Appointments can be made for before school, during lunch, after school and the second half of class periods. You will receive a pass during the class period indicating the time of your appointment.
SCHOOL CODE 241-489
MGSH Supports Students Choosing Technical Colleges and Training
2020 MGSH AP Testing Update
Post-high school planning for juniors: Things for parents to know
Seniors and parents:
Check out this recorded session Mr. Vecellio conducted on financial aid award offers here.
- Final transcripts will be sent out between June 23 and June 26 to requests made as "hold for grades." Any requests made on www.parchment.com between now and then for class of 2019, class of 2020, or current high school students will not go out until that week.
MGSH Supports Students Choosing
Technical Colleges and Training
Maple Grove Senior High honored its grads who will pursue a field in technical education with a signing day.
MGSH Supports 2018 Graduates who have chosen technical colleges and fields: MGSH acknowledges students who recognize their technical skills and the needs of today's workforce. Look here.
Families: check out CollegeCovered.com, a FREE resource on planning and paying for college for students and their families AND its brand-new College Planning Calendar ,a yearlong checklist for high school seniors and their parents detailing the must-do’s for the college application process.
Virtual College Info Sessions:
Various colleges and universities are offering virtual college information sessions. This is a great way to check out colleges you may be interested in. Here are a few that we have found, but check your college websites to see what they offer:
- NORTH HENNEPIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE – Online information sessions and virtual visit options are available through the following link: https://nhcc.edu/admissions/visit-nhcc
- HENNEPIN TECHNICAL COLLEGE – Individual one-on-one virtual information session with HTC team member. STUDENTS CAN ACCESS THIS LINK and provide their individual contact information. One of HTC's team members will reach out directly to set up the ½ hour one-on-one information session (Zoom Technology). https://www.hennepintech.edu/future-students/admissions/campus-visits.html
- NORMANDALE COMMUNITY COLLEGE - If students are interested in learning about the college, they can register for one of our upcoming virtual information sessions at the following link: http://www.normandale.edu/why-normandale/visit-normandale/information-sessions Students can find our application here: http://www.normandale.edu/admissions/apply. An admissions counselor is available for virtual appointments for those who are planning to apply and have questions at: https://calendly.com/keanna-levy
- NDSU - Virtual campus visit options—while we are not able to host campus visits right now, we invite your students to meet or learn about us virtually through the following ways:
o Schedule a one-on-one virtual meeting with a counselor or participate in live student panels at www.ndsu.edu/visit. We utilize Zoom videoconferencing for these options.
o Watch our YouTube videos to learn about campus life, academics and more.
o Explore all our virtual resources online at www.ndsu.edu/admission/virtual_visit.
- BELLIN COLLEGE--a health sciences college in Green Bay, WI that specializes in nursing, radiologic sciences, sonography, and most recently radiation therapy These bachelor degree programs are direct-entry and students are able to start taking their nursing or medical imaging classes right away during their first year. Zoom info session
- MICHIGAN TECH - virtual events
- UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA - http://admissions.arizona.edu/how-to-apply
- VITERBO COLLEGE - https://www.viterbo.edu/calendar-field_startdate/month
- WINONA STATE UNIVERSITY - https://www.winona.edu/admissions/undergraduate/visit.asp
- Go to any college website and search for "Visit" or "Virtual Visit" and gather information.
4 mistakes families make that raise the cost of college:
How to choose a college without visiting it:
Parchment - Sending your transcript to colleges
The Common App - Online college application for over 900 colleges
College Knowledge Month Videos
Post-high school planning is a big deal and MGSH wants students to invest time in it because we know that time well-invested will mean more positive outcomes for students. October is College Knowledge Month and the CRC has been educating students on the post-high school planning efforts that select staff members went through as well as what current seniors are doing. Take a look at these weekly segments.
MGSH CAREER RESOURCE CENTER MISSION
Provide support and teach knowledge, skills and values associated with educational, career development and post-high school planning opportunities to students, parents and community members. We also serve to support our district mission of inspiring and preparing all students with the confidence, courage and competence to achieve their dreams, contribute to community and engage in a lifetime of learning.
- The student can understand skills and educational requirements for career choices.
- The student can understand the relationship between interests, abilities and career choices.
- The student can understand the relationship between career clusters, academic classes and educational requirements as they relate to future career decision making.
- The student can untilize resources for career education and post-secondary planning.
GENERAL COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER INFORMATION
- We have a vast array of library resources (books, career information, college catalogs, SAT/ACT resources)
- College visits from both local and out-of-state colleges
- College counseling presentations
- On-the-spot admissions with North Hennepin Community College (spring)
- Job board (local business contact us for employment opportunities)
- Scholarship opportunities