Our School History
Sacred Heart School is rooted in rich Catholic tradition. On March 25, 1881, The Sisters of Mercy of the Sacred Heart Convent announced the opening of Yankton's first parochial school. Three days later the first classes were held. It was known as St. Martin's and was located on the northwest corner of Cedar and Fifth. Relatively short-lived, it was succeeded by Sacred Heart School, erected just west of the present day church
Sacred Heart School is located in Yankton, South Dakota. The first school was built in 1884 just west of the current Sacred Heart Church. In 1922 a new two-story brick school was completed at 5th and Capital. In 2002 construction of the new PK through 4th grade classrooms was added on to the St. Benedict Church building. In 2011 a new 5th through 8th grade building was constructed at the Sacred Heart Parish site. At that time, all but the gymnasium of the 1922 building was razed.
Sacred Heart School has over 25 staff members. Grades range from Pre-Kindergarten thru the 8th grade. The current enrollment is about 300 students from 200 families. Our growth is evident in our preschool, junior kindergarten and two sections in many grade levels receiving a foundation of faith as well as achieving academic excellence. Our students and staff are blessed with the ability to live the Gospel every day.
We believe that Christ is the reason for this school. He is the unseen but ever present teacher of our classes. He is the model of our faculty and the inspiration of our students. With this our belief, and the conviction that parents are a child's primary teachers, Sacred Heart School seeks to help children develop their mental capacities to the fullest extent, and to become aware of their obligations to God, to the Church, to the physical world, to their neighbors and to themselves. We likewise recognize and respect the right that children have the to progress at a rate suited to their unique abilities and endeavors.