The mission of the Wichita Mountains Area Senior Citizens Association is to provide the people of Northwest Comanche County, fifty-five years of age or older, a full range of nutritional, recreational, educational, and social activities to enrich and enhance their lives and their welfare. Seniors from other parts of the area are welcome to participate in our activities.
Our Program is slowly being expanded to take full advantage of the Legion Building's capacity and capabilities. The primary limitation is the availability of dedicated volunteers. The program started with the building being open for members on Tuesdays for yoga, coffee, crafts (quilting), table games (dominoes and card games), television, and lunch. Volunteers recently began opening the building around noon on Thursdays for dominoes, card games, snacks, and any other available activity. ( Monthly Calendars are posted on the <Schedule> webpage.
On the second Saturday of each month the center has a fundraiser: An Indian tacos are on sale. The proceeds from the fundraiser pays necessary center expenses and further our developing senior programs.
The Quilting Circle meets each week on Tuesdays at 10:00 AM. People interested in participating in the quilting program can contact Eva Williams (405-829-0838) or Cecil Gardner (580-529-2621).
Dominoes and card games are also available on Tuesdays at 10:00 AM, on Thursdays around noon and on Mondays at 5 pm until closing prior to and after the Monday pot luck supper.
People interested in exercising on the center's available machines or computer instruction while the building is open on Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tom at 580-574-1942.
A once a month, usually on the 4th Saturday of the month, An Evening of Line Dancing is offered. With the music starting at 7 pm, line dance classes are offered as others are participate in line dancing on the other side of the ballroom.
Periodic Karaoke evenings has been discussed. Email email@example.com if interested.
Other programs and activities will be develop as interest and need demands. The schedule for seniors currently includes:
- ... Mondays: 6 pm - a full pot-luck meal with the main course prepared by food committee and side dishes brought by center members... along with dominoes, other games, television, and visiting from 5 to 10 pm.
- ... Tuesdays: 10 am to 4 pm - Crafts. Quilting. Dominoes, pool, and table games. Yoga at 10 am, meal at 12 noon.
- ... Thursday: Noon to 5 pm - Dominoes. Pool. Other table games. Television and exercise equipment.
- ... Fridays: Friday Dance Night - The building opening at 6 pm and Wichita Sounds band plays traditional country, some early rock and roll, and a little ballroom until 10 pm.
- Saturday: Once a month on the second Saturday: Indian tacos sale. Served from 11 am to 4 pm
- Building cleaning. Volunteers gather weekly to sweep, mop, wipe and clean, and throw out the trash. The time varies, based on the schedule of the volunteers. The need is always pressing.
- As scheduled: Domino and Pitch tournaments or other fund-raising activity
To make our program really work, we need not only participants, but also volunteer activity leads and workers.