Michael A. Paarlberg - Journalism
I write for a number of publications, most frequently for the Guardian about politics, labor and immigration, and the Washington City Paper, where I am their classical music and opera critic. See below for selected clips.
- "Trump's Immigration Policies Are Full of Bogeymen and Contradictions"
- "Why Verrit, a Pro-Clinton Media Platform, Is Doomed to Fail"
- "Trump's Budget: The Dream of a Paranoid Strongman and a Vicious Scrooge"
- "We're Still Dissecting the 2016 US Elections - But Missing Key Lessons"
- "With All Eyes on Trump, Republicans Are Planning to Break Unions for Good"
- "He's Already Let American Down: The Reaction to Trump's First Speech as President"
- "It's Race and Immigration, Stupid"
- "Gangs, Guns and Judas Priest: The Secret History of a U.S.-Inflicted Border Crisis"
- "U.S. Unions' Continued Decline Masks New Forms of Worker Activism"
- "On Moral Hazard and Unemployment"
- "Can the Company Fire You for the Way You Vote?"
- "Jobs: The Key Factor That Will Determine the U.S. Election. Or Not"
- "The Reagan Democrat Delusion"
- "When Starving Big Government Ends Up Hurting Big Business"
- "US Unions Have a New Boss: The State"
- "The Union Difference in Health Reform"
- "Beltway Bandit Bonanza"
- "Health Problems at the Big Three"
Washington City Paper
Selected cover stories
- "Workers' Fights: Unpaid Wages, Uncompensated Injuries, and Unjust Firings: A Look at the Margins of the D.C. Labor Market"
- "Mappers' Delight: Northern Virginia's Korean Community Finally Gets Organized Politically--About Cartography"
- "Hermit Kitchen: How Did a North Korean Restaurant End Up in Northern Virginia?"
The New Republic
- "The Pinochet Myth Is Alive and Well Among Pundits Who Write About Egypt"
- "'Marketplace' Assures Us Bentleys and Tuscan Villas Trickle Down"
- "Why Do Europeans Cause So Many Train Wrecks? Or, the Idiocy of Malcolm Gladwell's Cultural Determinism"
- "Can Asians Save Classical Music?"
- "Where Have All the Winklevii Gone? The Declining Influence of Ivy League Preppies on U.S. Olympic Rowing"
In These Times