Cityside Middle School
5th - 6th Grade Transition
Fall - 2018 Key Dates
8/28 or 29 6th Grade Orientation
9/4/18 First Day of School
9/5/18 Magazine Sale Fundraiser Kickoff
9/7/18 6th Grade First Friday Celebration & Pictures
6th Grade iPad iNfo
Students will have their own school issued iPad to take home & use in class.
iPad pick up information & insurance information will be coming soon!
Appropriate use & being safe online will be covered the first week of school.
CommonSenseMedia.org - additional resource for videos & articles.
Note - The 6th grade school supply list will be available online in August.
CLUBS & ACTIVITIES
Drama - Fall musical & Spring play
Art Club - Ski Club - Science Club - Secret Agents - Homework Party - Robotics
Fall - Girls Tennis, Boys & Girls Cross Country
Early Winter - Girls Swimming & Diving
Winter - Boys Swimming & Diving, Wrestling
Spring - Boys Tennis
NOTE: You must have a physical on file with Cityside to participate in athletics.
New at Cityside Middle School?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the biggest difference you noticed between elementary school and middle school?
- Multiple teachers for math, English, science, social studies & elective.
- Elective Options – band, choir, orchestra, or a non-music rotation.
- Exploratory - students take a rotation of Spanish, Art & Phys. Ed.
How does lunch work?
- Students eat with only students in their grade. (30 Minutes)
- The first 15 minutes are spent in the cafeteria: the last 15 minutes students have the option of the gym (intramurals), the Chix Coop or staying in the cafeteria.
What is available for after school activities?
- Athletics: 6th grade students can participate in:
o Fall – Girls tennis, Boys & Girls cross country
o Early Winter – Girls swimming & diving
o Winter – Boys swimming & diving, Wrestling
o Spring – Boys tennis, Water polo
- Homework party: Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday 2:35 - 3:30 in the library.
- Art Club, Ski Club, Science Club
- The Bridge Youth Center drop-in (Tuesday & Thursday).
- Bridge to Excellence at The Bridge on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. (You must sign up w/ Jed Mulder at The Bridge to participate in the Bridge to Excellence program.)
- Performing arts: fall and spring play/musical.
What is “CBC”?
- CBC stands for “Chix Building Character”
- The room is monitored full time by Lori Maat, a ZPS employee
- The CBC room serves multiple purposes:
- Student behavior management
- Parents are notified of incident via email and/or phone.
- Homework and/or test retake center.
- Check and Connect
- iPad assistance center; students with iPad related issues will take their iPad to CBC.
- Athletic office
- Field trip/club permission slips and money taken here
What kind of communication do I have with teachers?
- 6th grade teachers maintain a website - updated weekly.
- All teachers are accessible via email and/or school phone.
- Conferences are scheduled throughout the year.
I am concerned about my son/daughter taking home the iPad. What are some things I need to know?
- iPad roll-out will be announced as we approach the end of the current school year. 6th grade pickup is in August. Day/time - TBD.
- There is a behavior expectation for appropriate use.
- Staff at Cityside will educate all students on appropriate use at the start of the school year & continue throughout the year.