RHO Kappa: National Social Studies Honor Society
Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society is the only national organization for high school juniors and seniors that recognizes excellence in the field of Social Studies. Any accredited public or private high school can apply for a local chapter, through which individuals will be inducted into Rho Kappa Honor Society.
The Rho Kappa chapter at Westwood High School provides national recognition for outstanding students, and encourages an interest in, understanding of, and appreciation for the social studies.
During the 2019-20 school year, this chapter will be dedicated to promoting scholarship of the social studies through the recognition of student achievement within the WWRSD community.
- Any 11th grade student who has completed at least 5 total semesters within the Social Studies program and is enrolled in either APUSH or US II Honors. Students must maintain minimum academic criteria of 3.7 Social Studies GPA and an overall GPA of 3.0.
- Students must have taken at least one Social Studies Honors Class Sophomore or Junior year.
- Students must demonstrate and continue to maintain appropriate standards of conduct that would be expected from an Honor Society member.
- Students must submit a written application to Mr. DeBlasio, Rho Kappa Adviser.
Application, Selection and Recognition Process:
- Students can self-nominate for admission into the Honor Society or students can be encouraged to complete an application by a Social Studies Department member.
- Students must fully complete the application.
The Selection process will be conducted as follows:
- The Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society adviser and the Assistant principal will verify requirements of each potential candidate.
- A list of candidates will be distributed to department members for review.
- The Adviser, Assistant Principal, and/or social studies department members will review final list and written expressions.
- Candidates may be denied if any one of the criteria is not fully met.
- All candidates will be notified by letter shortly after the final review.
- Successful candidates will have an additional letter forwarded to their guidance counselor and will be invited to an induction ceremony.
HOW TO APPLY:
1) Mr. DeBlasio will be going into the US II Honors and APUSH classes to distribute applications in December 2019 or students can print out an application and teacher recommendation form below and submit them to Mr. DeBlasio. All application are due on Wednesday, January 15, 2020.
2) A letter of recommendation from a member of the high school faculty is also required (attached below).
3) Submit application and letters of recommendation to Mr. DeBlasio
Requirements to Maintain Membership:
To maintain membership, a student must:
- Maintain academic requirements and standards of behavior representative of the Honor Society admission requirements.
- Attend 70% of the meetings of the Social Studies Honor Society. At these meetings the requirements and expectations will be discussed.
- Participation in at least 5 hours of community service, either independently or through the Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society Service Project.