Teacher Classification and Recognition of Previous Service

Types of previous service recognised under this Agreement

  1. full-time and part-time teaching,

  2. casual teaching,

  3. child-rearing,

  4. teaching in an Early Childhood Education Centre

  5. parental leave

  6. in Australia or overseas

Salary Classification for teachers is directly linked to level of NESA registration/accreditation plus statements of service which confirm the period of teaching service to be recognised.

This means that for each year of teaching experience you list in the teaching experience section of the application form, we require corresponding evidence in the form of a statement of service from your previous employer(s).

We understand that it can take some time for a previous employer to provide this evidence to you.

If you are unable to supply these with your application, for the interim period, you will be classified and paid at Band 1 (Graduate) level. Once the evidence is supplied to payroll, as long as it is within one term, we will back pay your correct classification. This provision is outlined in the Enterprise Agreement, section 15.6(e) Process for applying for credit for service.

What service credit can I get for Previous Teaching service?

full-time teacher;

any employment as a teacher

part time teacher

amount of service calculated in proportion to the full-time teaching load of a teacher at the school;

e.g. if you were PT 0.5 FTE for one full year this equates to 203*0.5 = 101.5 days teaching service

casual teacher

203 days of casual service is equal to a year of full-time service;

what is a full year of service?

(d) from 1 January 2016 203 days of teaching service, including full-time, part-time and casual teaching service; and

(e) prior to 1 January 2016 204 days of teaching service, including full-time, part-time and casual teaching service.

what if the total number of working days in a school year isn't exactly 203 days?

a Teacher who is employed on a full-time or part-time basis for the whole of the school year shall be deemed to have a year of full-time or part-time teaching service

even though the the actual school year may have more or less than 203 or 204 teaching days.



What service credit can I get for Overseas service?

Must meet ALL of the following requirements:

  1. All qualified teaching employment (including casual, temporary and permanent)

  2. In a recognised primary or high school (students aged 5 – 18 years)

  3. Occurred in a country where the teacher education qualifications are recognised by NESA as equivalent to qualifications from an Australian university.

provided that incomplete years of service shall be disregarded from the cumulative total under this paragraph.




What service credit can I get for Child Rearing

one year of service for each continuous three years of child rearing to a maximum of four years.

only if the following conditions are met:

(i) the period of child rearing must meet AT LEAST ONE of the following:

  1. immediately precedes their employment as a teacher in a registered school

  2. is the period between completing a teacher qualification and commencing employment as a teacher in a registered school,

  3. occurs between periods of employment as a teacher in a registered school;

(ii) only one parent can claim the one period of child rearing;

(iii) full-time child rearing is only credited for the time before the child turns 6 (six) or is enrolled in full-time schooling, whichever is the earlier;

(iv) paid employment, except as a casual teacher in an ACT or NSW non-government school or in limited casual employment elsewhere, will be taken to break the

continuity of full-time child rearing;

(v) recognition of child rearing will not be granted before, and until, the Teacher has attained Proficient Teacher accreditation (or registration in the ACT) with the

relevant teacher accreditation authority, notwithstanding that the period of child rearing was before such date; and

(vi) a Teacher may not have a given period counted more than once for the purpose of recognition of service with any Employer(s).



((b) CHILD REARING (Page 29)

What service recognition can I get for work in Early Childhood Education?

(i) Any service must meet ALL of the following requirements:

  1. on or after 1 January 2020

  2. as an Early Childhood Teacher

  3. in an Early Childhood Education Centre

(ii) An Early Childhood Teacher means a person who has completed an approved or recognised early childhood teaching qualification and is registered or accredited by the relevant teacher regulatory authority.

(iii) An Early Childhood Education Centre means an approved centre-based early childhood education and care service as defined in Section 5 of the Children (Education and Care Services) National Law (NSW) and Education and Care Services National Law (ACT), but does not include an out of school hours care service or family day care service.

What is accepted as child rearing evidence

Child rearing evidence

  1. a statutory declaration establishing the period of child-rearing to be recognised (Download a copy of the Commonwealth Statutory Declaration Form) AND

  2. a copy of the child’s birth certificate.

What happens if the evidence submitted does not meet requirements

  1. evidence must meet the requirements as outlined above

  2. CEDWW will not recognise the relevant period of service and will be classified only as per the acceptable evidence received

  3. we will advise you in writing (so that you can provide further evidence or understand why you classification may not meet your expectations) as soon as reasonably practicable.

How long do I have to submit my evidence?

If you are unable to provide evidence of previous teaching service you will be classified as per the evidence received only, until you can provide that evidence.

if we receive the evidence within one school term of the date you commence employment with CEDWW, the application will be granted from the date of commencement.

otherwise, recognition of previous service will only apply from the date we received the application.

You have twelve months following the date you commence employment with CEDWW to make your application for recognition of previous service.

Do I need to wait till I receive a Statement of Service from my Previous Employer before I submit my application?

No, you are able to submit your application whilst you are waiting to receive your Statements of Teaching Service but we can only classify your level of pay based on the evidence in front of us. see more in How Long do I have to submit my evidence.

What is accepted as teaching service evidence?

‘statement of service’ means

  1. a statement from a previous Employer

  2. on official letterhead

  3. contains the start date

  4. termination date

  5. classification

  6. whether service was full-time, part-time or casual

  7. whether any leave without pay was taken

  8. whether any paid promotion positions were held

statements of service must be provided by the previous employer in a pdf or other non editable format, otherwise supporting evidence such as the original email from the employer delivering the SoS must also be provided.