Weston School has been the lead school in North Otago for the Sport Activator programme since 2015 when the programme was first introduced to North Otago. The programme is funded through a grant from Kiwisport which subsidises the total cost to the participating schools.
The programme is delivered by YouthTown. For Years 1-3 Youthtown will deliver Fundamental Movement Skills, before moving onto sport specific lessons in Year 4. This develops the capability and confidence of young students before engaging in specific sports and increase the likelihood of lifelong enjoyment and participation. Each child will receive 3 x lessons per term.
The objectives of programme are to
- increase the number of school-aged children participating in organised sport
- increase the availability and accessibility of sport opportunities for all school-aged children
- support children to develop skills that enable them to participate confidently in sport
The key outcomes of the programme are
- Every child receives equal opportunity
- Fundamental skills will be taught and progressed
- Children will learn new sports and have opportunities to participate and compete in tournaments
- Links will be developed to clubs
- Teachers and parents will be upskilled in administration