National Board Certification Support
West Genesee Central School District
Welcome to the west genesee National Board Certification Support page!
Interested in pursuing National Board Certification, but you need information and support? We are here to help you! Check out all of the support available to you from NBTC's and candidates within West Genesee! We are constantly updating and adding information - please check in often!
West Genesee Teachers at Work with National Board
In October, a group of West Genesee teachers met to map out a plan to work on incorporating National Board standards into their teaching practice to ensure they have a positive impact on all their students. They will be focusing on differentiation within their classrooms for the current school year. They also outlined a path to National Board certification in their instructional areas.
The two-year plan as outlined follows:
ABout National Board Certification and the process
The NBC process has four components based on the NBPTS Standards for the selected certification area, which include:
- Three portfolio components of classroom practice including samples of student work and video recordings of instruction. The three portfolio components will focus on Differentiation in Instruction, Teaching Practice and Learning Environment, and the Effective and Reflective Practitioner
- One component will be a Content Knowledge Assessment administered at a computer-based testing center.
You can personalize the process to your own timeline. All components must be attempted within a three year period. You have five years to complete the process.
For further information, please visit Board Certified Teachers website at: Certificates, Standards, and Instructions for First-time and Returning Candidates
All components are based in the Architecture of Accomplished Teaching and the Five Core Propositions (see below).
2017-18 Important Dates
July 31, 2017 or until exhausted
Application for Albert Shanker NYS Grant funding RECOMMENDED to complete early! Update: October 2018: The Albert Shanker NYS Grant has been exhausted for this year. Per NYS Ed Dept's website, information for the next round of grant funds will come out in Summer 2018.
January 31, 2018
Component Selection (includes payment of component fees) You are expected to complete all components for which you register during the assessment cycle in which the component is purchased.
January 31, 2018
Change of Certificate and/or Specialty Area or Change of Component Selection and
April 1 - May 15, 2018
ePortfolio Submission Window
April 1 - June 15, 2018
Component 1: Content Knowledge Testing Window
December 31, 2018 or before
Funding and Incentives are available to you, which include:
- Defraying costs with grant funding through the Albert Shanker Grant (further information below)
- Earning 12 Graduate Credits from Empire State College for completing the process
- Receiving a West Genesee District stipend, when achieved
- If approved for Shanker grant, NYSED will notify our district that they can receive $500 reimbursement per candidate for services such as a CSP, substitute costs or technical equipment
- CTLE Requirments per http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/resteachers/ctle.html, "a holder in the classroom teaching service who achieves certification from the National Board for Professional Teaching standards shall be deemed to have met the CTLE requirement."
The Albert Shanker grant was established to defray the costs of National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS)* certification to eligible New York State public school teachers. The New York State Education Department through the Albert Shanker Grant makes funding available to support eligible New York State public school teachers seeking their first National Board Certification.
After you register, you pay for registration ($75) and the first component ($475). If grant is approved, the grant will pay for remaining components ($475 each) and reimburse you for the first component. You will have only invested $75!
Funds were exhausted in 2016-2017 - so our recommendation is to apply EARLY! UPDATE: For the 2017-2018 cycle, Albert Shanker grant funds are going quickly. As of the end of July, half of the funds are exhausted. Apply soon! UPDATE (10/2018) The Albert Shanker grant funds have been exhausted. Information for the next round of grant funding will come out Summer 2018.
To be eligible, you must be employed as a full-time teacher in a NYS Public School, hold a valid NYS Teaching Certificate, hold tenure and commit to the NBPTS candidacy effort.