Welcome to WCA Student Technology Page
This page is a work in progress, designed to provide students with information about all things technology at Westminster. Check back often to find information about new apps and extensions that will help you with your courses. Email Debra.Killen@wca-hsv.org if you there are things you would like to see added to the page.
Technology Focus Fall 2018
What is Read&Write?
We are all different which means we all learn in different ways. Read&Write is an award-winning literacy toolbar that is used daily by millions of students worldwide. This toolbar enables everyone to realize their full potential - throughout all grades and subjects.
It offers support with everyday tasks like reading text out loud, understanding unfamiliar words, researching assignments and proofing written work. It’s designed in line with the principles of UDL (Universal Design for Learning), so it fits right in with a wide range of educational technology strategies and personalized learning plans.
It works with any kind of educational content – websites, Word files, PDFs, Google docs and more. Easy to install and manage, it runs smoothly on all your hardware, including PCs, Macs, Chromebooks and tablets.
Benefits at a Glance
- Improve reading comprehension: hear web pages and documents read aloud with a choice of natural voices
- Help students understand unfamiliar words with text and picture dictionaries
- Develop writing skills and confidence with word prediction
- Support homework and independent research with study skills tools
- Turn documents and web pages into MP3 files for easy listening on the move
- Assists English Language Learners and students studying a second language
- Accessibility features like screen masking give extra support to students with dyslexia and other literacy challenges
EquatIO lets you type, handwrite, or speak to create equations, formulas, and other math and chemistry expressions on a computer or Chromebook; there’s also a library of ready-made expressions you can use to add content to a document. EquatIO also supports LaTex, a typesetting and mark-up language that’s widely used for mathematical and scientific documents.
Snapverter is an easy to use add-on for Read&Write for Google Chrome that transforms papers and files into readable PDF documents. After installing the Snapverter Chrome app, you can use your smartphone to snap a picture of text in a book, handout, or other paper-based item or select a saved inaccessible digital file from your phone or computer and upload it to the Snapverter folder in your Google Drive. Files are converted to readable text using optical character recognition (OCR) and stored as PDFs in your Google Drive. If you’d like, you can then use Read&Write to hear text read aloud, see words explained, access translation features, and more.