We are excited about the growing body of free and low-cost sites that our teachers are using to support student learning. We believe in technology as a positive and enabling force for student engagement and student outcomes, and we encourage the creative use of technology to support student learning.
With all the latest and greatest technology out there, we also have a responsibility to protect our students’ data. We want to encourage the use of sites from companies we already have confidentiality agreements with to ensure that our student data is appropriately protected.
To remain compliant with state and federal laws and to protect the privacy of your students’ data, please obtain parental consent when using a site that is not on the district approved list.
The attached Parental Consent template should be used whenever using a site that is not on the VPSB approved list.
What Should You Do?
If using a site that is not on the VPSB Approved List
- Complete the attached Parental Consent form by including:
- The name of the app or website that you would like to use in the classroom
- The purpose of the app or website
- The website URL
- Your contact information
- Collect signed permission forms from your students
- Retain the signed permission forms for the duration of the school year
What should you do if you do NOT receive signed permission?
Teachers should be prepared to make the equivalent educational opportunity available if parental consent is not obtained.
YOU ARE ALLOWED TO USE SITES THAT AREN'T ON THE APPROVED LIST.
BUT YOU MUST GET PARENTAL CONSENT.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- If the students are logging in with Google, do we still need parental consent?
- Yes, unless the site they are logging into is on the list. We have a parental consent for Google, not necessarily that particular site.
- Can I use a site that's not on the list?
- Absolutely! Just get parental consent.
- This site I am using (insert site here) is not on the list. Can it be added?
- Unfortunately, no, not without reaching out to the company to get an agreement. Most companies that offer free services aren't going to sign an agreement because they have their own privacy policies in place.
- Why do we have to get parental consent on these sites?
- Because Louisiana has strict laws about giving out a student's personally identifiable information. Getting parental consent protects you!
- What can I do if a parent doesn't give consent?
- You will have to utilize some other method of instruction. Or resort to begging! It just might work! :)
- If my students aren't logging into the site, do I need to get parental consent?
- No, you only need consent if the student has to input more than 1 form of PII. If they aren't logging in, they aren't inputting any PII, so you are covered.
- I've been using this site for years, why do I need to get an agreement now all of a sudden?
- The laws have changed in the past few years which has tightened the use of PII by schools, districts, and the LDOE.
Remember, getting parental consent protects YOU!
PII Letter for 19-20 Elementary School Handbook - the sites on this list are going in the handbook for elementary school students. Parental consent will be gained from handbook therefore there is no need for teachers to send out parental consent letters for these sites.
PII Letter for 19-20 Middle/High School Handbook - the sites on this list are going in the handbook for middle/high school students. Parental consent will be gained from handbook therefore there is no need for teachers to send out parental consent letters for these sites.