Department of Logistics and Maritime Studies
Faculty of Business
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 34003624
Fax: (852) 23302704
Zhou XU is currently a Professor in the Department of Logistics and Maritime Studies, Faculty of Business, Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU). He obtained his PhD degree in 2007 from the Industrial Engineering and Logistics Management Department of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology(HKUST), Master degree in 2003 from the Computer Science Department of National University of Singapore (NUS), and Bachelor degree in 2002 from the Computer Science Department of Tsinghua University (Tsinghua). His research focuses on the application of operations research and computer science techniques to problems in logistics, transportation, shipping and supply chain management. He has published more than thirty articles in mainly premier journals, including Operations Research, INFORMS Journal on Computing, Transportation Science, Transportation Research Part B, Naval Research Logistics, Interfaces, Communications of the ACM , etc. He is also active in academia-industry collaboration. His research works have been translated into a strategic procurement and bid optimization system, which helps a global electronic company to source transportation services for thousands of lanes in the world.
- Operations Research and its Applications in Logistics, Transportation, Shipping and Supply Chain Management
- Algorithm Design, Artificial Intelligence, and Business Analytics
- LGT3108 Introduction to ERP; LGT5152 Information Systems for SCM; LGT5113 ERP
- PBS Fellow Award (PolyU, 2019)
- Faculty Prize for Research and Scholarly Activities (PolyU, 2018)
- Faculty Prize for Teaching (PolyU, 2017)
- Faculty Staff Development Scheme (PolyU, 2012)
- Semifinalist of Franz Edelman Award (INFORMS, 2010)
- Performance Reward Scheme (PolyU, 2008)
- Honorable Mention of TSL Doctoral Dissertation Award (INFORMS, 2007)
- Innovation Applications Award (IAAI, 2006, 2007)
- IIE Scholarship, (IIE, 2007)
- Teaching Assistant Award (HKUST, 2005)
- Excellent Graduate Award (Tsinghua, 2002)
- Medalists of International/National Programming Contests (ACM-ICPC, IOI, NOI, 1995-2001)
- Pickup and Delivery Vehicle Routing Problems with Split Loads for Asset Repositioning Applications: New Relaxations and Solution Algorithms, GRF, PI, 2020-2022
- A Recoverable Approach to Optimizing Flight Gate Assignments for Airports under Uncertainty, GRF, PI, 2018-2020
- Min-Sum Rectangle Packing Problems with Berth Allocation Applications, GRF, PI, 2015-2017
- Shipping Service Network Design with Surplus Capacity, NSFC, PI, 2015-2017
- Algorithm Designs and Analysis for Relief Distribution, GRF, PI, 2010-2013
- Collaborative Regional Container Flow Management: Models and Systems Development, NSFC/RGC, Co-I, 2009-2011
- Strategic Transportation Procurement Systems for Philips
- Freight Procurement Planning for Metro Group
PhD Students Supervised
- Liang XU, PhD, PolyU, 2011: currently being a Professor at Southwestern University of Finance and Economics, China.
- Xiaofan LAI, PhD, PolyU, 2015: currently holding a faculty position at Sun Yat-sen University, China.
- Jun XIA, PhD, PolyU, 2016: currently holding a faculty position at Sino-US Global Logistics Institute, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China.
- Shifu XU, PhD, PolyU, 2021 (expected).
- Shengnan SHU, PhD, PolyU, 2021 (expected).