Governor Gordon's Wildlife Migration Advisory Group
Governor Mark Gordon's Migration Corridor Advisory Group was tasked with developing recommendations to improve the state’s policies related to big game migration on lands that are also suitable for mineral development.
In August the group finished its work and presented the Governor with its recommendations. The recommendations begin with an overarching call to pursue an Executive Order to codify a state-based set of policies related to big game migration corridors and the industries, economies and private landowners that enhance, overlap and grow from Wyoming’s world-class migration routes.
The advisory group included representatives from the oil and gas, mining and agriculture sectors, as well as conservation, recreation and sportsmen groups and a county commissioner.
The groups recommendations are above in the PDF document.
Here is info from Game and Fish about corridors:
The group met three times, in Rock Springs, Lander and Pinedale. All meetings were open to the public and recordings of the meetings are below.
Next steps are for the Governor to review these recommendations and to hear input on those. Please send comments to email@example.com
John Espy - for counties (Carbon County)
Kathy Lichtendahl - for conservation (Park County)
Maxwell R. Ludington - for recreation (Teton County)
Mike Schmid - for the Game and Fish Commissioners (Lincoln County)
Dan Stanton - for sportsperson’s groups (Sweetwater County)
Marty Stearns - for mining (Sweetwater County)
Marissa Taylor - for agriculture (Uinta County)
Kevin Williams - for oil and gas (Sublette County)
Game and Fish Overview of Migration Corridors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHcOstYxh14&feature=youtu.be
Webinar on groups recommendations (September 12, 2019): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eVYO8xCZGI3VpzhZCpOwJghM90Ku5-UK/view?usp=sharing
https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1365-2664.13445 (Dr. Sawyer's paper from New Mexico/Colorado)
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/csp2.83 (Pronghorn study related to winter range, published July 2019)
https://www.uwyo.edu/haub/ruckelshaus-institute/wy-open-spaces-initiative/2019-migration-public-opinion-poll.html (social science related to migration corridors - NEW INFO!)
INFO ON RENEWABLE PROJECTS AND TRANSMISSION
The NREX tool has all existing wind and transmission.
- Link: https://nrex.wyo.gov/map
Gateway West transmission (under development). Only 140 miles of this is being built, essentially from Aeolus to Point of Rocks.
- Sage Solar
- Fossil Solar proposed by Strata Solar outside of Kemmerer.
Proposed Transmission projects
- Gateway South
- TransWest Express: Map below
Proposed Wind projects
- Boswell Wind: http://deq.wyoming.gov/media/attachments/Industrial%20Siting/Application%20and%20Permits/Boswell%20Springs%20Project/2017%200823_ISD_Application_Appendix%20A%20Boswell%20Springs%20Project%20Maps.pdf
- TB Flats: page 246 (Appendix A-2): http://deq.wyoming.gov/media/attachments/Industrial%20Siting/Application%20and%20Permits/TB%20Flats%20Wind%20Energy%20Project/2018%200327_ISD_Application%20TB%20Flats%20Wind%20Energy%20Project_18-01.pdf
- Ekola Flats: page 250 (Appendix A-2): http://deq.wyoming.gov/media/attachments/Industrial%20Siting/Application%20and%20Permits/Ekola%20Flats%20Wind%20Energy%20Project/2018%200611_ISD_Application%20Ekola%20Flats%20Wind%20Energy%20Project_17-03.pdf
- Uinta Wind: page 219 (Appendix A-2): http://deq.wyoming.gov/media/attachments/Industrial%20Siting/Application%20and%20Permits/Uinta%20Wind%20Energy%20Project/2018%200709%20Application%20Uinta%20Wind%20Energy%20Project%2018-02.pdf
- Cedar Springs I and II: page 251 (Appendix A-2): http://deq.wyoming.gov/media/attachments/Industrial%20Siting/Application%20and%20Permits/Cedar%20Springs%20Wind%20Project%20/2019%200222_ISD_Cedar%20Springs%20Wind%20Application_18-05.pdf
- Roundhouse: page 257 (Appendix A-2): http://deq.wyoming.gov/media/attachments/Industrial%20Siting/Application%20and%20Permits/Roundhouse%20Wind%20Energy%20Project/2019%200318_ISD_Roundhouse%20Renewable%20Energy%2C%20LLC%20Application_18-13.pdf
- Two Rivers/Lucky Star: Application is ISC not yet submitted. 11,000 acres directly north of Medicine Bow.
- Cedar Springs: Application to ISC not yet submitted. 45,000 acres south of Medicine Bow.
MAPS and DOCUMENTS
The mapping tool is here:
Three designated mule deer migration corridors and two draft corridors.
This Section includes documents on the policies related to corridors.
These are public comments or presentations to the group.
This is the Western Governor's Association's Resolution on Corridors
This is the summary document of programs for landowners and the report on Outdoor Recreation in Wyoming.
Below are documents with data on corridors.
Below are the maps provided to the group.
These are prior agendas.