West Midlands pro-European Network
What is this website?
This site is one of a set of sites intended to cover the whole of the UK (index page) to help you find and work with the relevant pro-Europe groups in your area. So it is part of UKPEN.eu. You can navigate to your area using the drop-down menus at the top right (PC) or top left (mobile devices). Please send any comments or requests for editing permissions to wmproeurnet at gmail.com
What is it for?
The idea behind this work is that we need to see who we are, where we are and who our neighbours are. This is essential to plug the gaps in our network and to be ready for any new chance to vote. The constituency pages (there's a provisional example of a relatively well filled out constituency page here, Aberconwy (and the half-completed page in West Midlands so far is Stoke-on-Trent Central)) are supposed to help everyone get to grips with:
- the important task of corresponding with MPs to make our wishes and feelings known. You can get help doing this either through the national campaigns Represent Us, and Best for Britain, or by plugging in to their targeted operations in particular constituencies, and throughout constituencies in this part of the UK.
- developing maps right down to ward level to help activists cover their streets with leaflets and door to door conversations, and to keep a log of where they have been and where they have not been, whichever organisation or group they are working for. These resources can be held off this site, but the more linked up they are here, the more they can be shared across different groups working in the same area.
In addition we are beginning to use the constituency index page as a link to lists to help divide up the task of posting news on all the Facebook groups.
How do I use it?
To find what constituency you live in use this tool: https://mapit.mysociety.org/. An index to all constituencies in West Midlands is here. Individual constituency pages are grouped under their county, unitary authority, or metropolitan county, themselves grouped into 3 areas. Join your constituency group and start work for Europe! Join your national or area group to take part in events and discussions. The main national or area groups in the East of England are listed below, for more local groups follow the links to sub-pages.
To get alerts on your MP's activity in Westminster use "They work for you" https://www.theyworkforyou.com/alert/
A page for the West Midlands Region as a whole is here: https://www.facebook.com/westmidlands4europe/
and the 48% Groups discussion page is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/263025177474053/
In West Midlands (pink boundary) to the east there are the three counties of Staffordshire (surrounding the unitary authority of Stoke on Trent), Warwickshire and Worcestershire, as well as the metropolitan county of West Midlands, containing Coventry and Birmingham.
To the West the "County of Herefordshire" is in fact one of three unitary authorities , the other two being Telford and Wrekin, and Shropshire, which surrounds it.
- Young European Movement Midlands:
1. West Mercia
(13 constituencies) Area Groups:
- European Movement West Mercia: http://www.europeanmovement.co.uk/west_mercia
Shropshire (Including Telford and Wrekin)
- Herefordshire for Europe: https://www.facebook.com/groups/48Herefordshire (234)
- Worcestershire for Europe: https://www.facebook.com/groups/303215143391545/ (257)
(28 constituencies) Area groups:
- EU in Brum: https://www.facebook.com/groups/EUinBrum/ (549)
- European Movement Birmingham: http://www.europeanmovement.co.uk/european_movement_birmingham https://birminghamwmmc.wordpress.com/ https://twitter.com/BirminghamWMMC
- EU in Walsall: https://www.facebook.com/groups/425557841112106 (93)
- Open Britain Birmingham: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coventry4Europe: https://www.facebook.com/Peoples-Vote-Coventry-319306598635180/
Represent Us slice the cake into three like this:
Herefordshire Worcestershire and Warwickshire, Coventry and Meriden, part of Staffs. RU Region 11.
Remainder of West Midlands except Sutton Coldfield and Aldridge Brownhills RU Region 32 "Birmingham"
RU Region 30 "Staffordshire Shropshire"
Best for Britain's "regions" cross regional boundaries and add Cheshire in at the North end and Gloucestershire in at the South end, like this:
(extracted from this map)
Best For Britain - West Midlands and Cheshire: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1984708798453374 (103)
Best For Britain - Worcestershire / Gloucestershire / Herefordshire: https://www.facebook.com/groups/675036842692512/ (40)