Peace is every step.
Breathe, you are online!
Welcome to the Winding Path Sangha (formerly the Iowa City Sangha) in Iowa City, Iowa, founded in the Plum Village tradition of Vietnamese teacher Thích Nhất Hạnh, or 'Thay'.
Please join us at 7 p.m. Wednesdays for meditation at Trinity Episcopal Church in Iowa City, and 10 a.m. the first Saturday of every month at Hickory Hill Park's east entrance for Walking Meditation followed by coffee and conversation at Lucky's Market. Details for recurring events are available on our Meetup page at https://www.meetup.com/meditate-in-Iowa-City/.
Here are other upcoming events and news, some of which may not be directly associated with our Sangha but may be of interest:
- The Red Cedar Buddha Sangha will hold a Day of Mindfulness featuring Dharma teacher Jack Lawlor on Saturday, February 16, at The Schoolhouse at Simply Dunn, Downsville, Wisconsin. The theme is "Happiness for the Individual, the Family, Our Communities: the Spiritual Genius of Thich Nhat Hanh." Registration deadline is February 13. Details at http://redcedarbuddha.org/2019/01/day-of-mindfulness-sat-feb-16-2019/
- The Iowa City Free Lunch program is looking for volunteers to help prepare and serve lunch on Saturday, February 23, presenting a wonderful opportunity to practice the engaged Buddhism that Thich Nhat Hanh encourages in the Plum Village tradition. ICFL is hoping for four to six helpers to prep food between 10 a.m. and noon, and another eight to 10 or more helpers to serve and help clean up from about 11:45 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. Please RSVP if you intend to volunteer by visiting our Meetup page here.
- The Winding Path Sangha of Iowa City and Unitarian Universalist Buddhist Sangha are co-sponsoring a Day of Mindfulness from 9 a.m. (check-in begins at 8:30 a.m.) to 4 p.m. Saturday, March 2, 2019, at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation, 2355 Oakdale Road, Coralville, Iowa. The theme is “The Art of Mindfulness: Transforming Stress and Difficult Emotions Even in the Midst of Challenges," which will explore some of the simple but effective mindfulness tools available for reducing suffering and grounding ourselves during turbulent times. The day will be led by Jack Lawlor, a Dharma teacher ordained by Zen Master Thích Nhất Hạnh. Registration information here. PLEASE NOTE: Because this event coincides with the first Saturday of the month, we are cancelling Walking Meditation in Hickory Hill Park for that day. We'll resume on Saturday, April 6.
- The Winding Path Sangha Women’s Group meets at different times twice each month, offering a morning and evening option. The group meets at 9:30 a.m. on the second Friday of each month and at 5:30 p.m. on the fourth Friday each month, both times at the High Grounds Cafe, 310 E. Market St., Iowa City. All are welcome, regardless whether you’re part of the Winding Path Sangha. For more information, contact Kimberly at email@example.com.
- The Winding Path Sangha Mindful Men's Group meets 8 a.m. on the second and fourth Sundays of each month at the Bread Garden Market, 225 S. Linn St. The group is for anyone who wants to be more present and compassionate in their lives, providing support, reflection, conversation, laughter, and lasting friendship. All are welcome. More at https://www.meetup.com/meditate-in-Iowa-City/events/wdtwzpyxlbjc/.
Thích Nhất Hạnh, or 'Thay'