Peace is every step.
Breathe, you are online!
Welcome to the Winding Path Sangha (formerly the Iowa City Sangha) in Iowa City, Iowa, founded in the Plum Village tradition of Vietnamese teacher Thích Nhất Hạnh, or 'Thay'.
Please join us at 7 p.m. Wednesdays for meditation at Trinity Episcopal Church in Iowa City, and 10 a.m. the first Saturday of every month at Hickory Hill Park's east entrance for Walking Meditation followed by coffee and conversation at Lucky's Market. Details for recurring events are available on our Meetup page.
Here are other upcoming events, some of which may not be directly associated with our Sangha, that may be of interest:
- Freedom School 360, offering workshops for adults July 18-20, and for children ages 13-18 July 21-28, is an opportunity to practice what Thich Nhat Hanh calls "engaged Buddhism," to share the benefits of meditation practice and mindfulness in and with the community. The series will employ traditional freedom school techniques used in the 1960s by followers of Martin Luther King Jr. and through workshops, along with “contemplative tradition, creative improvisation, Liberation Theater, and community-based projects to develop collaborative responses to environmental, social, and economic justice,” according to organizers. The suggested registration fees may be waived based on participants' ability to pay.
- A Detox for the Heart, July 19-23, St. Anthony Spirituality Center, Marathon, Wisconsin (near Wasau). Hosted by Madison Vipassana, this 10-day residential meditation retreat will be led by Ajahn Sucitto, a Theravada Buddhist monk in the tradition of Ajahn Chah. Register at http://madisonmeditation.org/event/a-detox-for-the-heart/.
- Go as a River, August 22-26, Camp Courage in Maple Lake, Minnesota, is a residential mindfulness meditation retreat in the tradition of Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. The retreat is for beginners and experienced practitioners and will be led by monastics from Thich Nhat Hanh’s Plum Village Tradition. Each day will include daily dharma talks, sitting and walking meditation, mindful eating, and periods of Noble Silence. The retreat will include small group sharing, panel discussions, Q and A and time to enjoy paddling in a kayak or a swim in the lake. A special focus of the retreat is climate change, deepening our awareness of our relationship to Mother Earth, and learning ways we can act locally and globally for the well being of all living beings and our planet. Early bird registration until May 15. Scholarships available.
- Snowflower Sangha Annual Fall Retreat, October 12-14, 2018. The theme is: "What Zen? Suggestions from the Buddha, Thay and the Zen Tradition on Living Mindfully in Chaotic Times." Held at Bethel Horizons in Dodgeville, Wisconsin. More details to come.
- Mindful Men Weekend, November 8-11: Details are evolving, but this weekend will bring together up to 11 men (the capacity of the cabin we've rented at Backbone State Park in Dundee, Iowa) to take part in sitting, walking, and eating meditation; readings and discussions about our practice and how we apply it to our lives as sons, fathers, partners, etc.; opportunities to hike, play, and sit around a campfire. Estimated cost per person is $30, which will cover cabin rental, vegan meals and snacks, beverages and refreshments, and other expenses. This is an alcohol-free event. If interested, please contact Stephen Pradarelli at email@example.com to be added to a list that will be alerted when registration opens.
- Save The Date! Saturday, March 2, 2019: Dharma Teacher Jack Lawlor is tentatively scheduled to lead a Day of Mindfulness, the first hosted by the Winding Path Sangha in the Iowa City area, at the Unitarian Universalist Society in Coralville, our co-host for the event. Details soon.
Thích Nhất Hạnh, or 'Thay'