Wales pro-European Network
What is it for?
The idea behind this work is that we need to see who we are, where we are and who our neighbours are. This is essential to plug the gaps in our network and to be ready for any new chance to vote. The constituency pages (there's an example of a relatively well filled out constituency page here, Aberconwy) are supposed to help everyone get to grips with
- the important task of corresponding with MPs to make our wishes and feelings known. You can get help doing this either through the national campaigns Represent Us, and Best for Britain, or by plugging in to their targeted operations in particular constituencies, and throughout constituencies in this part of the UK.
- developing maps right down to ward level to help activists cover their streets with leaflets and door to door conversations, and to keep a log of where they have been and where they have not been, whichever organisation or group they are working for. These resources can be held off this site, but the more linked up they are here, the more they can be shared across different groups working in the same area.
How do I use it?
To find your constituency use this tool: https://mapit.mysociety.org/ . An index to all constituencies in Wales is here. In this site individual constituency pages are grouped under their unitary authority, themselves grouped into three areas: North, Mid and South Wales. Join your constituency group and start work for Europe! Join your national or area group to take part in events and discussions. The main national or area groups in Wales are as follows, for more local groups follow the links to sub-pages.
- Wales for Europe: walesforeurope.org ; https://www.facebook.com/WalesForEurope/ ; @WalesForEurope.
- Cardiff for Europe: http://cardiff4eu.weebly.com/ (Britain for Europe affiliated) https://www.facebook.com/groups/cardiff4europe/ (457 members as at September 2017).
- North Wales for Europe: https://www.facebook.com/NorthWalesForEurope.
- European Movement Wales branch: http://www.europeanmovement.co.uk/wales_branch.
- Another Europe is possible - Cardiff branch: https://www.facebook.com/anothereuropecardiff .
- Best for Britain (all regional facebook groups see here)
- North Wales (Anglesesy, Gwynedd, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Wrexham) (17 members November 2017)
- South Wales (Powys, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire, Swansea, Neath Port Talbot, Bridgend, Vale of Glamorgan, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Merthyr Tydfil, Caerphilly, Blaenau Gwent, Torfaen, Newport, Monmouthshire) (26).
To get alerts on your MP's activity in Westminster use "They work for you" https://www.theyworkforyou.com/alert/
This area is the same as Best for Britain North Wales:
[2. South Glamorgan]
- Vale of Glamorgan
- Blaenau Gwent
Best for Britain's "South Wales" covers Mid & West as well as South:
Table of constituencies by region with MPs and runners up at the last General Election.
*Reference is sometimes still made to the old "preserved counties", in square brackets above, and listed here in full:
- South Glamorgan
- Mid Glamorgan
- West Glamorgan
"Represent Us" regions are to be revised to fit in with the schema followed in this website, at present they are as follows:
The Welsh part of Represent Us group 21 (which also includes Cheshire in the English West Midlands region) plus part of group 23
Represent Us group 23 excluding the parts in group 21) 4, 5, 6, 7 on the map.
Represent Us group 28), and 1, 2, 3 on the map