Job Shadow Program
for Young Women in Chittenden County
"I learned about new careers I never would have considered."
The VEIC Job Shadow Program is a 7 month career exposure experience designed for young women ages 16-20 in Chittenden County.
It takes place at Vermont Energy Investment Corporation (VEIC) where you can expect to:
- learn more about yourself and your career interests
- develop confidence and independence as you begin to see yourself as a young professional
- meet encouraging professionals working in a variety of different jobs at VEIC
- begin to build your own professional network
- gain professional and life skills (self-advocacy, communication, exploring strengths, salary negotiation skills, finding and keeping jobs, personal finance, how to pay for college, retirement and taxes, exploring what motivates us, organization and time management...to name a few!)
Check out the example schedule below for more detail.
What is Vermont Energy Investment Corporation?
VEIC is a non-profit in Burlington (located on Lakeside Ave.) that helps Vermonters lower their energy useage and helps people access affordable renewable energy. If you've ever heard of "Efficiency Vermont" - that is their program! You can read about them here: https://www.veic.org/what-we-do/our- expertise
About the Program + Commitment:
The program meets one full-day per month from October 2018 through May 2019.
That means if you are selected, you will miss one school day per month and are responsible for letting teachers know you will be absent as well as making up exams and work you miss. There is no homework, but we do send interesting articles and videos in between months.
There is a program orientation on Sept. 25, 2018 from 3:30-5pm @ VEIC.
Our monthly meeting dates are:
Meet Lindsey! The Program's Coordinator!
Hi, I'm Lindsey! Like you, I know what it feels like to not know... ...what to do for a career, what to do after high school (college? gap year? training program?), or how to know you're making the "right" decision.
This is why this program exists. Because it's a lot more fun to figure this stuff out together. You get to work with me, Li Ling Young and Othella Clardy - our Coordinators at VEIC, the other amazing women mentors, and your peers! That's way better than navigating it alone.
For the last decade, I've dedicated myself to helping young women, like yourself, learn the skills that are really going to support you in your life and careers. It doesn't have to be so hard. I promise!
You can learn more about me here.
Contact info: email@example.com