Audience Development Lead
New international tech journalism startup
We’re a new international journalism newsroom, launching Q1 2020, that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our digital publication will explore the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
To build out our vision and kick-off our efforts to build strong readership, we are seeking an experienced and creative Audience Development Lead.
The ideal candidate will be someone who is deeply curious about the world and likes to tackle complex problems. The Audience Development Lead will have the opportunity to work on the earliest iteration of our digital presence and direct how we engage and reach our audience.
This role is based in our New York office.
In this role you will:
- Be responsible for developing creative and practical audience development strategies for the publication at launch and beyond, promoting stories and issues to natural and interested audiences wherever we might reach them
- Be the primary organizational voice for our readers, their interests and habits, helping the team best understand our readership, and how to reach them
- Own the publication’s strategies for social media, newsletter and email development, and other more creative and product-driven approaches to building readership and impact based on our editorial work
- Help define the publications audience targets using segmentation and staging
- Develop and manage the organization’s social media strategy on relevant platforms
- Develop a metrics-informed framework to evaluate our performance as we seek to grow our audience in novel ways.
- Join a small collaborative team that spans engineering, design, product, and editorial to create truly innovative approaches to build our community
Successful applicants will:
- 4+ years experience
- Be an enthusiastic champion for building strong audiences for a media company, love great storytelling and are fundamentally curious about the world
- Have experience crafting and implementing audience development strategies for digital media, including core digital audience development techniques such as social distribution, SEO, email and more
- Have a demonstrated track record of growing audience for a media property or brand
- Knows how to build out audience segmentation models and evangelize them within an organization
- Possesses strong communication abilities. As the primary voice for our audience, it’s crucial that you are able to speak up in any setting and lead the team on behalf of the publication’s audience in collaborative settings
- Has a strong foundation in journalistic best practices and ethics
- Possesses excellent written communication, documentation, and commenting skills
- Curiosity about international affairs and/or the use of technology abroad a plus
- Exhibits a strong work ethic, comfort with and an ability to be effective in fast-changing startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
Not sure you have the exact experience or background? You should apply if working in audience development and journalism appeals to you. We value multiple points of view, and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
To apply you can:
Read over the description one more time and ask if this is a role and organization that appeals to you and your career path, and then by email provide:
- Your name and the text "Audience Development Lead" as the Subject
- A few lines of an informal introduction (not a cover letter)
- Send it to Michael Donohoe (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you have concerns that your resume may not adequately reflect your experience and background, or there is additional context that can't be captured in a resume format; we welcome longer explanations via email.
NYC AREA CANDIDATES ONLY
NO RECRUITERS PLEASE