Welcome to my site! I am an assistant professor of real estate at the Department of Risk Management, Insurance, and Legal Studies, Florida State University.
My research interests include real estate economics and finance.
Recent Conferences and Seminars
- FSU-UF-UCF real estate research symposium in Gainesville, April 4-6, 2019 (As Discussant)
- American Real Estate Society Annual Meeting, April 9-13, 2019
- National AREUEA, May 2019 (As presenter and discussant)
- International AREUEA 2019 (Co-author presented)
- Asian Real Estate Society Annual Conference, July 2019 (As presenter and discussant)
- Global Chinese Real Estate Congress Conference, July 2019
- Urban Economics Association 2019 (As presenter and discussant)
- ASSA-AREUEA 2020 (Two papers)
- “Controlling Unobserved Heterogeneity in Repeat Sales Models: Application to Anchoring to Purchase Price” (with John Clapp)
University of Amsterdam, University of Cambridge, Concordia University, Free University, University of Groningen, University of Reading, the Urban Economics Association (UEA), American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association (AREUEA), the Weimer School
- “Is the Behavior of Sellers with Gains and Losses Relevant to Cycles in House Prices?” (with John Clapp and Ran Lu-Andrews)
The Weimer School Seminar May 2018; National AREUEA June 2018; Cambridge-UF-NUS Research Symposium, October 2018; ASSA-AREUEA 2020
- "Do Sellers with Expected Losses Obtain a Premium Price? Really?" (with John Clapp and Ran Lu-Andrews)
- “The Optimal Composition of Shopping Malls” (with David Leung and Peng Liu)
Real Estate Research Institute (RERI) Funded Research Paper 2018
2018 RERI Annual Conference, May 2018; REALPAC/Ryerson Commercial Real Estate Research Symposium, May 2018; ASSA-American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association (AREUEA) Annual Conference, Atlanta GA, January 2019
- “Trade-offs between Asset Location and Proximity to Home: Evidence from REIT Property Sell-offs” (with Chongyu Wang) R&R
2018 FMA Best Paper Award Semifinalist - Investment
2018 FMA; Cambridge-Florida-Singapore 2017 Real Estate Finance & Investment Symposium, 2017; ASSA- AREUEA Annual Conference 2017; AREUEA National Conference 2016; Global Chinese Real Estate Congress (GCREC) 2016; Midwest Finance Association (MFA) 2016; American Real Estate Society (ARES) 2015; University of Connecticut; Georgia State University
- “Does Entry Regulation of Big-Box Stores Protect the Retail Sector? The Impact of Store Cap Ordinances on the Grocery Segment”
ASSA-AREUEA Annual Conference 2017; 7th European Meeting of the Urban Economics Association (UEA), 2017; the Weimer School of Advanced Studies in Real Estate and Land Economics, January 2018
- “Institutional Common Ownership and Firm Value: Evidence from Real Estate Investment Trusts” (with David Ling and Chongyu Wang) Real Estate Economics. Forthcoming.
Institutional Common Ownership increases firm value.
- “The Geography of Real Property Information and Investment: Firm Location, Asset Location, and Institutional Ownership” (with David Ling and Chongyu Wang) Real Estate Economics. Forthcoming.
- Anchoring to Purchase Price and Fundamentals: Application of Salience Theory to Diagnosis of Housing Cycles. 2018. (with John Clapp and Ran Lu-Andrews) Real Estate Economics. Forthcoming.
- Predicting Accounting Misconduct: The Role of Firm-Level Investor Optimism. 2018. (with Shantaram Hegde) Journal of Business Ethics. Forthcoming.
- Economics of Philanthropy—Evidence from Health-Crowdfunding (with Denis Schweizer and Juliane Proelss) Small Business Economics. Forthcoming.
- Retail Agglomeration and Competition Externalities: Evidence from US the Openings and Closings of Multiline Department Stores. 2019. (with John Clapp and Stephen Ross) Journal of Business & Economic Statistics. 37 (1) 81-96 .
- A Review and Extension of Merger and Acquisition Research between REITs and General Corporations. 2018. (with John Glascock and Ying Zhang) Journal of Real Estate Literature. 26 (2) 223-253.
- Can Investors Have More Real Estate to Hold? Evidence from Statistical Properties of Listed REITs versus Listed Non-REIT Property Companies in the USA. 2018. (with John Glascock, Wikrom Prombutr, Ying Zhang) Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics. 56, 274-302.
- Do Principles Pay in Real Estate Crowdfunding? 2017 (with Denis Schweizer) Journal of Portfolio Management. 43 (6) 120-137.
- An Investigation into the Substitutability of Equity and Mortgage REITs in Real Estate Portfolios. 2017 (with J. Andrew Hansz and Ying Zhang) Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics. 54, 338–364.
- An Anatomy of the Interrelationship between Equity and Mortgage REITs. 2017 (with J. Andrew Hansz, Wikrom Prombutr and Ying Zhang) International Real Estate Review. 20, 287-324.
- Predicting Risks of Anchor Store Openings and Closings. 2016 (with John Clapp) Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics. 52, 449-479.
- The Location of New Anchor Stores within Metropolitan Areas. 2015 (with John Clapp) Regional Science and Urban Economics 50, 87-107.
- Expansions and Contractions of Major US Shopping Centers. 2014 (with John Clapp and Katsiaryna Salavei Bardos) Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics 48, 16-56.
- Herding and Information Based Trading. 2009 (with Rose Neng Lai) Journal of Empirical Finance 16, 388-393.
- Herding and Positive Feedback Trading on Property Stocks. 2008 (with Rose Neng Lai) Journal of Property Investment and Finance 26, 110-131.
Florida State University, Department of Risk Management, Insurance, Real Estate and Legal Studies
- REE4143 Real Estate Market Analysis (undergraduate)
- REE5015 Real Estate Valuation (online MBA)
Concordia University, Department of Finance
- FINA 450 Real Estate Investment and Finance (undergraduates)
- MSCA 632 Special Topics in Finance: Real Estate (master of science in finance)
University of Connecticut, Department of Finance
- Real Estate Principles (undergraduate)