About The Masonic Hall
Picture with kind permission of the Royal Windsor Website
Documents in the possession of Windsor Castle Lodge No. 771 suggest that the building dates its origin from 1725. Although reputed by some sources to be the work of Sir Christopher Wren there is no documentary proof to support this. It is, however, possible that his advice on the design was sought as he was a resident of Windsor for many years and he was instrumental in the building of the Guildhall in 1702. The building served as a Charity School from 1725 until 1862 when, the Royal Free School having transferred to a new building in Bachelor’s Acre, the old schoolhouse in Church Lane was sold to the newly consecrated Windsor Castle Lodge for £500.
Considerable alterations were carried out and the new Temple was dedicated on 24th November, 1864 by V.W.Bro. Aeneas McIntyre, Q.C., Grand Registrar in charge of the combined Province of Berkshire and Buckinghamshire. The ceremony was followed by a banquet at the Guildhall for some eighty freemasons, the bill for which amounted to £26.6s.Od.