Lifecycle of a Grant
- Teacher has innovative idea for educational program/equipment (s)he would like funding for
- Teacher fills out Grant request form and TEF Purchase Order Requisition
(go to TEF website: www.tefnj.org and go to grant information )
- Flash Grants (for amounts up to $2,000) –voted on in 1 reading
- Major Grants (for amounts >$2,000) – voted on in 2 readings
- Teacher submits Grant and PO to Principal for approval
- Grant and Purchase Order are then sent to Bd of Education (BOE), who registers the grant and passes it on to the Superintendent for approval.
- If approved by the Superintendent, BOE sends Grant to the TEF Board to vote on (Flash Grants require one reading; Major Grants require 2 readings; TEF Board meetings are held once a month so Major Grants take two months for a decision). TEF Board Meetings are generally the 2nd Wed. of every month (see list of meeting dates below).
- Teachers are notified of the outcome within 24 hours, by email.
- If TEF approves the Grant, payment is issued by check, and the Grant is added to the agenda of the next BOE meeting, for acceptance
- If approved, TEF funds are deposited by Central Office and held pending disbursement. Purchase Orders are processed the Tenafly Board of Ed.
- TEF meetings are scheduled right before BOE Board meetings to expedite the speed of grant approvals.
Sample timing of Flash Grant:
10/1 Teacher has idea; fills out Grant form and TEF Purchase Order
10/5 Teacher submits to Principal
10/7 Principal approves both forms and sends to BOE, who registers the grant and passes it on to the Superintendent for approval
10/9 BOE Superintendent reads Grant and, if approved, passes it on to TEF
10/14 TEF Board meeting- votes on Grant. If approved, TEF issues a check and the Grant is added to the agenda of the next BOE meeting
10/19 BOE meeting: will vote on whether to accept funding of the Grant from TEF. Funds are released thereafter