Dr. Subhanjan Sengupta is an Assistant Professor in Strategy, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship (SIE) Area. With a research interest where entrepreneurship, sustainability, and social issues interact in general, Sengupta has been researching entrepreneurship with the lenses of social value creation, market orientation, practice of ethics, and the interconnection between social and environmental sustainability. Methodologically, he uses a qualitative research approach. At a theoretical level, he likes to explore sustainable and social entrepreneurship, context and relationality, structures and agency, and institutionalism.
He is a Visiting Researcher at the Business School, University of Eastern Finland (UEF). He is currently collaborating with the Innovation Management Research Group at UEF on issues such as ethics of care as practice in social entrepreneurship, social sustainability in sustainability transition, and sustainable entrepreneurship as sustainability agency. In 2018, he was also an EDUFI Fellow of the Finnish National Agency for Education at the Business School, UEF.
He also engages in interdisciplinary research. He is now a collaborator in an international consortium led by University of Sheffield and STFC (UK), researching integration of business models, policy instruments, and precision agriculture interventions, for reducing waste of fresh agricultural produce from farm to retail.
His research is published in reputed journals such as Energy Policy, Journal of Cleaner Production, Social Enterprise Journal, International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Bioresource Technology, and his teaching cases are available at Ivey Publishing and Harvard Business Publishing. One of his research papers was also selected as one of the Top Four Finalists for Best Business Ethics Paper category in the Social Issues in Management Division of the Academy of Management (AOM) Annual Meeting in 2020. He was also the Winner of the Jagdish N. Sheth Best Thesis Award 2019 and Best Researcher Award 2019-20, at BIMTECH.
He is also a reviewer in multiple journals such as Business and Politics, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research, Journal of Strategy and Management, Journal of Social Entrepreneurship, International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Asia Pacific Journal of Management, and International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management.
Apart from his service to society through teaching and knowledge creation through research, he has also contributed through advisory to social enterprises, commercial enterprises, and in evaluating pitch decks of entrepreneurs at ideation or early stages.
• Interviewed and featured by Inkpothub Media, which is India’s first digital platform for popularizing and communicating scientific research in business schools. Link: https://www.inkpothub.com/research-stories/the-doctoral-journey-builds-character-ft-dr-subhanjan-sengupta-bimtech/
• WINNER of Best Researcher Award 2019-20 at BIMTECH
• Among TOP 4 FINALISTS in Best Business Ethics Paper Category of the Social Issues in Management Division in Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2020.
• WINNER of Jagdish N. Sheth Best Thesis Award 2019 jointly awarded by Jagdish Sheth Foundation and BIMTECH
• Accepted: Sengupta, S., Sahay, A., & Hisrich,R. (2020). The Social-Market Convergence in a Renewable Energy Social Enterprise. Journal of Cleaner Production, 122516. [ABDC 'A' Rank Journal, Impact Factor: 7.246, CiteScore: 10.9]
• Published: Kapoor, R., Ghosh, P., Kumar, M., Sengupta, S., Gupta, A., Kumar, S. S., ... & Pant, D. (2020). Valorization of agricultural waste for biogas based circular economy in India: A Research Outlook. Bioresource Technology, 123036. [Impact Factor: 7.539, CiteScore: 12.8]
• Partner Meetings, Stakeholder Meetings, Field Work Visits, & Website Launch of the Indo-UK research project TRANSSITioN. Held from 20th January - 24th January 2020.
Launch of TRANSSITioN website: https://transsition.org
• Invited on October 04, 2019, as Keynote Speaker on “Role of Social Entrepreneurship in Alternative Politics” for the launch of Manav Rachna Center for Peace and Sustainability at Manav Rachna University.
• Kick-Off Meeting of Indo-UK research project TRANSSITioN held on 13th August 2019. Sponsored by STFC-GCRF, UK; led by University of Sheffield and STFC, with other UK partners, and 10 India partners, including BIMTECH.
• Published: Plutshack, V., Sengupta, S., Sahay, A., & Viñuales, J. E. (2019). New and renewable energy social enterprises accessing government support: Findings from India. Energy Policy, 132, 367-378. [ABDC 'A' Rank Journal, Impact Factor: 5.042, CiteScore: 8.7]
• Published: Subhanjan Sengupta, Arunaditya Sahay, & Margaret Osborne (2019) - Hebon Transforms Indian Jackfruit From Weed to Wonder Food. (Ivey Publishing ID: 9B19M006; Harvard Business Publishing ID: W19027-PDF-ENG)
• Awarded PhD in December 2018
• Invited to the Business School, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, in 2018, as an EDUFI Doctoral Fellow awarded by the Finnish National Agency for Education.