Prof. Stefan Sperlich
Université de Genève
Prof. Stefan Sperlich made his diploma in mathematics at the University of Göttingen and holds a PhD in economics from the Humboldt University of Berlin. From 1998 to 2006 he was Professor for statistics at the University Carlos III de Madrid, from 2006 to 2010 chair of econometrics at the University of Göttingen, and is since 2010 professor for statistics and econometrics at the University of Geneva. His research interests are ranging from nonparametric statistics over small area statistics to empirical economics, in particular impact evaluation methods. He has been working since about 15 years as consultant for regional, national and international institutions, participated in development programs like EUROSociAL or UN assessment reports, is cofounder of the research center 'Poverty, Equity and Growth in Developing Countries’ at the University of Göttingen, and research fellow at the Center for Evaluation and Development (Mannheim, Germany). He published in various top ranked scientific journals of different fields and was awarded in 2002 with the Koopmans econometric theory prize .
Address & Contact :
- Université de Genève, Geneva School of Economics and Management,
- Research Center for Statistics & Institute of Economics and Econometrics
- Bd du Pont d'Arve 40, CH - 1211 Genève 4, Switzerland office: M5235
- Tel / Fax : + 41 (0)22 37 98223 / + 41 (0)22 37 98299
- mail : stefan dot sperlich at unige.ch
Areas of interest
- non- and semiparametric methods (in particular smoothing techniques and testing of model specification), impact evaluation (causal analysis, treatment effects, evaluation), small area estimation (indicator prediction and inference, composite indicators), analysis of econometric models, computational statistics, empirical economics (actuarial science, econ. development, gender), optimal designing.
- German (native), Spanish, English, French, Latin (Latinum)
Professional Education and Experience
- 1988 - 1994 Study of Mathematics, specialization: math for economics (second subject: business administration) at Georg-August Universität Göttingen
- May 1994 Diplom: thesis on Optimal Experimental Designs for nonlinear Regression models, supervised by Prof. Holger Dette
- 1994 - 1998 Member of the Sonderforschungsbereichs 373, Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes, at Institute for Statistics and Econometrics at Humboldt University Berlin.
- February 1998 PhD in Economics (Dr.rer.pol.); Thesis on Additive Modelling and Testing Model Specification supervised by Prof. Wolfgang Härdle.
- 1998 - 2002 Prof. Visitante, University Carlos III de Madrid, Department of Statistics and Econometrics
- 2002 Prof. Titular (tenure) for Statistics and OR
- 2003 - 2006 Department of Economics, University Carlos III de Madrid
- 2006 - 2010 Chair of Econometrics, Institute for Statistics and Econometrics, ordinary member of the Faculty of Economics, Georg-August Universität Göttingen, coopted at Dep. Agricultural Economics & Rural Development, Faculty Agric. Sciences
- Since 2010 Prof. Ordinaire, (full prof. for statistics & econometrics), Université de Genève
- Tjalling C. Koopmans Econometric Theory Prize (2000-2002), jointly with Lijian Yang and Dag Tjostheim. A prize awarded once every three years. Advisory board at the time: M.Deistler (TU Wien), C.W.J.Granger (San Diego), Ph.J.Dhrymes (Columbia University), and G.Tiao (Chicago)
- Augusto Gonzlez Linares (2014) A program to attract international talents, by the foundation UCEIF (University of Cantabria & Banco Santander).
- Special rewards in 2004 and 2005 of the Economics Department, University Carlos III de Madrid for ranking in top group.
- Grants of the Institute Flores de Lemus (in 2001, 2002, and 2003), University Carlos III de Madrid for splendid CV and research project