Interested in a Board position? Or would you like to nominate someone else? Please complete a form to express interest or nominate yourself. Please send us an email if you would like to nominate another person.
We have several opportunities at Salem Middle School on our PTA Board of Directors. The only elected officers of this local PTA shall be a President, one or more Vice President(s), a Secretary, and a Treasurer. No PTA member shall serve in more than one elected position at a time. Upon taking office, each elected officer must be a member of our local PTA.
Officer positions require an application and letter of interest, a nomination ballot [submitted by peers or the nominating committee], nomination from the floor at a General Meeting to fill a vacancy, or at the start or end of a new school year.
Applications are reviewed by existing board members, the nominating committee and SMS Principal, and interviews are performed prior to a vote to fill the vacancy. Interested individuals are encouraged to read our NCPTA bylaws, speak with current PTA members, and shadow existing members in the role(s) of interest.
To ensure adequate coverage throughout the school year, all elected Executive Committee Officers are expected to attend all monthly meetings and scheduled events, even when “your” SMS students are tracked out.
If any SMS PTA Board meetings, events or needs conflict with your personal schedule, we ask that you communicate those needs at the least, 2 weeks in advance or earlier if possible, to enable the other members of your team to prepare and cover your area of responsibility.
We understand that things pop up and availability can sometimes change without notice. To minimize chaos in those unexpected events, we ask that all BOD members communicate any needs in advance and plan accordingly.
Officers who will serve for the coming fiscal year shall be elected at the last general membership meeting of the fiscal year; these officers will assume office on July 1 and serve until the following June 30.
The final General PTA meeting is held one or two months prior to the end of the school year. This is the last opportunity to nominate individuals into officer positions from the floor for the upcoming school year.
In addition, anyone who submitted an application of interest or who may have been nominated by others prior will also have the opportunity to announce their interest for a vote at that time.
Officers shall take office on July 1 and shall serve for that fiscal year (until the following June 30), or until his/her successor is elected and ready to assume office. A person may serve only two consecutive full terms in the same office.
All Officers shall perform the duties outlined in these bylaws and those assigned by the board of directors of this local PTA. Upon the expiration of the term of office or in case of resignation or removal, each officer shall turn over to the president, without delay, all records, books, and other materials pertaining to the office, and shall turn over to the treasurer, without delay, all funds and other assets of this local PTA.
See below for a list of all elected positions and a brief description of the bylaws for each role. Specific VP positions and openings are listed on the current volunteer openings page.
All officers should read and familiarize themselves with the Uniform PTA By-Laws. These policies govern ALL PTA's functioning within North Carolina.
⦁ Shall preside at all meetings of the general membership and the board of directors at which he/she may be present, and shall designate another officer to preside when he/she will not be present (in the absence of such designation, the board may elect any board member to preside at any meeting);
⦁ Shall coordinate the work of the officers, the board and the committees of this local PTA;
⦁ Shall perform such other duties as may be provided for by the by-laws or assigned to him/her by this local PTA or by the board of directors;
⦁ Shall sign all contracts of this local PTA that have been approved by the board; and
⦁ Shall be an ex officio voting member of all committees except the nominating committee.
PTA Vice President
Shall perform duties requested by the president and the board of directors. In the event of a vacancy in the office of president, the vice president, or the vice presidents acting together if there is more than one, shall assume the duties of the president until a new president is elected pursuant to Section 6.4 of these bylaws.
- Collect, deposit and maintain all funds of this local PTA in approved depositories (including, but not limited to, all monies collected as local dues, raised in PTA activities, received as contributions, or otherwise acquired);
- Disburse funds in accordance with the annual budget adopted by this local PTA, and maintain records identifying the purpose and payee of all disbursements;
- Maintain a current record of income, expenditures, assets, and liabilities of this local PTA, and make all financial records available for inspection and review by the audit committee;
- Present a financial report of income and expenses at each meeting of the general membership and the board of directors, which report shall compare current income and expenditures to the approved budget;
- Remit dues to NCPTA in accordance with Article 5 of these bylaws and the current NCPTA good standing requirements;
- Prepare a year-end financial report by June 30 showing the total income and expenditures for the fiscal year, comparing those figures with the budget approved at the beginning of the fiscal year, and the assets and liabilities of the local PTA, and submit that report to the incoming president, treasurer, and audit committee;
- File all required tax forms and reports in a timely manner, including but not limited to tax returns for the previous fiscal year, and submit copies of all such filings to the secretary of this local PTA;
- At the end of his/her term, transfer all financial records to the audit committee by July 1; and
- Provide assistance to the audit committee upon request.
Shall record the minutes of all meetings of the general membership and the board of directors and shall perform such other delegated duties as may be assigned by the board of directors, and shall maintain a file of important documents related to that local PTA, including but not limited to:
- articles of incorporation of this local PTA;
- the current uniform local bylaws approved by NCPTA and adopted by this local PTA,
- the current standing rules of this local PTA, if standing rules have been adopted by the board;
- minutes of past meetings of the general membership and board of directors;
- a copy of the official membership roster provided for in Section 5.3 of these bylaws;
- a current roster of board members;
- a current roster of all committee members and chairs;
- legal documents, including but not limited to insurance policies and contracts;
- current and past tax returns; and
- current and past audit reports;
At the end of his/her term, the secretary shall transfer this file of important documents to his/her successor as secretary.