Council Minutes

Church Council Minutes

Council minutes will be posted here after council meetings. All minutes posted are DRAFT versions.

Roland United Church Council Meeting

Thursday, November 15, 2018 – 7:00 p.m.

Call to order/ present: Janice Graham, Antonette Dickinson, Lynda Pritchard, Ross Bell, Brian Burnett, Ken Thomas, Kyla Orchard, Brenda Whitehead, Larry Gluck, Lisa Pinkerton-Baschuk

Regrets: Ila Swain, Leslie Whitehead, Murray Peirson, Raymond Phillips, Bill Whitehead, Beth Bartley

Opening prayer/ remarks – Ken Thomas

Minutes of the September 20, 2018 council meeting were circulated in mailboxes by Kyla Orchard. Moved by Larry Gluck, seconded by Antonette Dickinson. CARRIED.

Treasurer’s reportKyla Orchard moved her report as presented. Kyla Orchard moved her report as presented. Seconded by Brian Burnett. CARRIED



· Health Inspector – wanting to come to inspect the kitchen – Ross will meet him on November 22.


· None

Business Arising

· Kyla has created a new website and showed the council what it looks like. If you type in into your browser you should get the website. Gave a demonstration

New business

· Wages – recommended that the pay increase of 1.6% as stated in the 2019 United Church of Canada guidelines for ministry personnel. Recommend that the cost of living increase be applied to the Treasurer as well.

· Annual Reports to Kyla by January 4

· Annual Meeting Date February 3

Business and reports from each focus representative

Minister’s report – since last meeting have done a wedding and a baptism. Regular visits to the lodge and hospital and attended community events. Went to Miami to preside over communion and Remembrance day service. On call for November for Miami. Chairing the CIES committee and is the pastoral charge supervisor for Morris. Kept busy with new position on Keepers of the Vision at Sandy Saulteaux Spiritual Centre. On the Transition Commission which includes chairing the interim Property Commission until June and participating on the planning team for the first Regional Meeting which will be in Brandon in June. Roland is entitled to send two reps to the Regional Council. We should start looking for interested people right away. They should be elected at the AGM in February.

Worship – Communion the first Sunday of the month. One baptism last month. Beth and Ila attended the cluster meeting held in Roland and had discussion about shared ministry between Graysville, Carman, Miami and Roland. Beth and Brenda will watch a webinar about clusters November 20th. Ken is using the revised standard lectionary

Property & Finance – fixed a few chairs and going to start touch up paint around the doors

Ministry & Personnel – everything is going good, wage recommendations were done earlier in the meeting

Mission & Outreach – Ila invited them to participate in the service at the end of October from the Mandate. White Gift is December 2

Church Fundraising Committee – went over events that have taken place and will be taking place. The groups for the coming year have been divided into 4 groups rather than 6 to cut down on the amount of people needed. Will be having a meeting soon to discuss prices.

Christian Education – Some weeks lots of kids in classes and Christmas concert on December 16

Presbytery Report – Last meeting will be held on November 17 in Portage. Antonette will be attending for Beth. Clusters will now be the meetings in place of Prebytery.

Music – no concerns – Tom wondered about funding to purchase orchestra instruments. Mentioned that if he came to us with a item and quote we would be able to go from there

Trustees – Nothing

Prayer Shawl Ministry – given out 38 prayer shawls to date this year.

Announcements/ Miscellaneous –

· Lynda has looked at a few trees and wondering if it would be best if we try and fix it or just add strings of lights to make it work. Lynda is suggesting that we purchase a silk arrangement of on top of the organ as it needs to be a rather large arrangement.

· Ross will set the Christmas tree up this week and we will have the kids decorate on November 25

· Janice made a motion for Lynda to get a quote for silk flowers for an arrangement for the sanctuary. Seconded by Larry Gluck. CARRIED

· Ken & Jackie are planning a vacation in March and will be absent March 3 & 10.

· Blue Christmas December 20 at 7:00 p.m.

· Christmas Eve December 24 at 4:00 p.m.

Next Council Meeting January 17, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.

Motion to adjourn Larry Gluck at 8:05 p.m.

_______________________________ _________________________________

Brenda Whitehead, Acting Chairperson Kyla Orchard, Secretary