The Metropolitan Milwaukee Fair Housing Council (MMFHC), in cooperation with the City of Beloit, the City of Janesville, and Rock County, is engaged in development of housing recommendations that address barriers to fair housing. Fair housing is the right to choose housing free from unlawful discrimination. Federal, state and local fair housing laws protect people from discrimination in housing transactions such as rentals, sales, lending, and insurance.
Your participation will help us better understand barriers and provide subsequent recommendations to dismantle them.
The surveys for renters, homeowners, and homeless people are open to those living in Rock County. The housing producer and provider survey is open to those who work in the housing industry in the Rock County and it's communities such as real estate agents, property managers, and nonprofit organizations.
Please select the survey that is most appropriate:
For more information about the MMFHC, visit our website http://fairhousingwisconsin.com/ or call 414-278-1240.
The Fair Housing Act is the Federal law which provides fair housing protections and prohibits discriminatory practices in housing, You can learn more about the FHA here.
Federal Fair Housing Act
Federal law makes it illegal to discriminate in housing because of:
- Race – A person’s race or the race of persons with whom one associates.
- Color – A person’s skin color.
- Sex – A person’s sex, including sexual harassment or intimidation.
- National Origin – The country of one’s birth and/or the nationality of one’s ancestors.
- Religion – A person’s religious beliefs or denominational affiliation.
- Disability/Handicap – A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.
- Family/Familial Status – Household composition, including the presence of children.
Wisconsin Open Housing Law
State law includes all federal protections, plus the following additional classes:
- Age – Persons 18 years of age and older.
- Ancestry – The country of one’s birth and/or the nationality of one’s ancestors.
- Marital Status – Married, single, divorced, widowed or separated.
- Lawful Source of Income – A person’s legal means of income, including such subsidized forms as Social Security, Food Stamps, Unemployment Compensation, etc.
- Sexual Orientation – Heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality.
- Domestic Abuse, Sexual Assault and Stalking Victims – Persons who have been or are victims of domestic abuse, sexual assault or stalking.