Hello, Rainbow Crosswalk Supporter!
Thanks for supporting the #DCRainbowCrosswalks project! We are now just two days away from painting! Included in this correspondence you will find info about the logistics of Saturday’s painting, an opportunity to join in a press preview event with Mayor Bowser on Friday, and more.
Saturday afternoon, seven temporary rainbow colored crosswalks and one representing the transgender flag will debut along 17th Street NW, in the heart of the traditional LGBTQ neighborhood of the nation’s capital. A community-led initiative, the crosswalks are designed to be a highly visible symbol of Washington, D.C.’s long -standing place as a welcoming city for LGBTQ residents and visitors.
If you are interested in helping with the paint, please read the info below.
Saturday, June 10th
11:20 AM - Arrive to Stead Park Field (1625 P St NW)
11:20 AM - The Crosswalk Painters Arrive
11:30 AM - Welcome & Instructions to Painters
11:40 AM - Divide Into Crosswalk Painting Teams
11:50 AM - Crosswalk Coordinators Lead Team Huddle
Noon - Deploy to Crosswalks to Paint
1:30 PM - Ribbon Cutting Ceremony & Photo
1:50 AM - Walk Among the Crosswalks, Post Painting Drinks (JR’s Bar Beer Garden)
A few notes:
- Please be on time. Parking is often a challenge in the area. If driving, park south of Massachusetts Ave and walk the couple blocks north. Or better yet, Metro (Dupont Circle), bus, or bike.
- Wear comfortable clothes that could get a bit messy.
- We’ll be painting with temporary chalk spray paint. You may get a bit on you. It does wash off with water and soap.
- We’ll have gloves and hand wipes to help keep you clean.
- You are welcome to bring friends and family!
Join the Press Preview Event with Mayor Bowser
The crosswalk project wouldn’t have been possible without the fierce support and assistance from Washington DC Mayor Bowser and her administration. Mayor Bowser, once hearing about the project was determined to make it happen. And so, join Mayor Bowser, her LGBTQ staffers and appointees, community members, and regional TV and print media in a crosswalk press preview event tomorrow morning. We will be painting one of the crosswalks in advance to preview to TV and print media of the DMV area. Hope you can make it!
Press Preview Event with Mayor Bowser
Friday, June 9th at 10:45 - 11:15 AM
1519 17th St NW, Washington, DC 20036 (near JR’s Bar)
Lastly, here are a few more asks.
- Please use hashtags #DCRainbowCrosswalks, #DazzlingDupont, #Rainbow17th with social media posts.
- Please donate to the project to help cover costs and share the fundraising page. https://www.gofundme.com/rainbow17th
- Share the public post-painting Facebook event to encourage others to visit and walk among the crosswalks. https://www.facebook.com/events/299788977139678
Thanks again for your support and looking forward to seeing you on 17th Street!